chest x rays

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just wondering about chest x rays , a few years ago my chest  x ray  results showed widespread chronic inflammatory lung disease, and another result i had a year or so before showed  back round changes of copd yet now my gp doesn't  think i have copd anymore would be delighted if i felt like i didn't have it ,i also thought that if it showed on x ray it was pretty advanced am i wrong about that.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi billy if you have a chest extra when you have a lung infection the lungs will show problems.  When that infection is clear your lungs will show as clear but that doesn't mean you no longer have COPD.  

Spirometry results can show as normal even when you still have breathing difficulties and the lung damage from emphysema for instance doesn't go aware just because the chest xray shows clear and spirometry results are normal.

If your problem is gas exchange in the lungs DLCO this can result in some serious breathing problems even with normal spiro and clear chest xray.  On spiro the F2575 result may show below normal.

The only real way to find out what your lung damage is and what is causing your symptoms is a CT scan, (if you are still having breathing difficulties and have previously had a diagnosis)  if you are under a consultant you are normally referred for this scan, and also cardiac is usually checked as well so it can be determined the cause of the breathing difficulty.

• Posted

hi vee2 thank you for taking the time to reply i am a bit clearer now on the x ray results ,i haven't had a DLCO

test so i will bring this up at my next spirometry review ,and yes looking at a spirometry result that i had a few years back my fef 25-75 did seem a bit low it says LLN 1.50 and my pre best is 0.87 so i will also ask about this .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.