Chewing gum - good or bad for reflux?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey friends

has anyone tried chewing gum to aid reflux problems? I've heard good and bad reports. My main issue currently is a feeling of excess mucus in the throat.

Thank you.

Joanne x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

have tried but with little luck. truthfully, depending on the flavour (peppermint, cinnamon) it made it worse at times.

in theory the saliva is supposed to help neutralize the acid but i never had such luck.

good luck!

matt

• Posted

It has to be sugar free to be effective because sugar can make reflux worse. Also peppermint is supposed to be bad for reflux. The saliva you produce from chewing is supposed to be good for neutralizing acid. They say you should chew your food a lot before swallowing so it doesn't repeat on you too.

• Posted

It helps me, but (contrary to popular belief) peppermint wouldn't be a good choice for GERD if you have it. It can make it worse.

• Posted

hi arj

thank you for your reply. what chewing gum do you use? My main problem now is phlegm and acid in throat.

joanne

• Posted

chewing gum made me worse ive tried tried different flavours and sugar free but none helped all made it works

• Posted

hi Gillian

thank you for your reply. How do you manage your reflux?

Joanne

• Posted

I take PPI medication but thats still not stopping my reflux I'm seeing my gastroligest on Tuesday

• Posted

hi Gillian

how did you get on today at your appointment?

Joanne x

• Posted

hi I've got to have scope done again and probably biopsy I'm suffering really bad with burning and stinging in throat and gullet cant sleep with it and cant eat with it doctor said it's the acid coming up and said the PPI medication should stop this happening but it isn't so we will see

• Posted

yez ivr had that in that past but now I find it makes me burn more

• Posted

I was taking that but since it's been pulled off the shelfs because of cancer link I've stopped taking it and I didn't find it helped that much to be honest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.