Chiari decompression surgery, what should I expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I found out about 4 weeks ago that I have chiari 1 malformation of 12mm today toncillar herniation and a syrinx from c3-t12 which has caused thinning of the spinal cord. I saw a neurosurgeon last week and I will be having decompression surgery within the next few weeks. What should I expect recovery to be like? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lauren23261

I can't tell you myself yet, as my decompression surgery is in 6 days time.

Bit I would strongly suggest you look at the following discussions that are already addressing the same issue that I have been tracking:

Almost 4 weeks out of Chairi surgery by diana99730

Chiari Decompression surgery by hayleybell

I have found both helpful.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi Lauren

I had surgery July 10 was released from hospital July 13 My hospital stay is very hard to remember they keep you pretty drugged up because of pain I ate about 3 grapes and couple pieces of watermelon the whole time I was in there I drank lots of water do no hesitate to ask for pain meds. Yesterday was 3 weeks I was thinking it was 4 😏 I had a good day then a bad for the first few weeks hard time sleeping find just the right pillow I had stopped taking heavy pain meds took Motrin had to go back to heavy meds I do feel I am doing better this week I walk daily to help keep up my strength and not to go stir crazy I am a very inpatient person wanted healing to be done and move on but have learned with this there is no rushing slow and easy I wish you the best with your surgery. Something else was I was surprised at how weak I felt the first 2 weeks

• Posted

I thought of another thing ice packs I have used at least 4 times everyday I made my own because they work better then ice cubes I cannot remember the exact amounts of each but it's like 3 cups strongest alchol I think I used 91 percent and 2 cups water put in ziplock freezer bag I double bagged it put in freezer wrap in towel when you use they get really cold you can google for right amounts of each and I have started using heat after to help the muscles

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

First of all you must praise the lord for getting you with understand NS who knew exactly what its like and straight away wanting to do decompression..so HE must realised how terrible your condition is at th present.

What you expect recovery to be like:

1st day. The moment you are awake from your decompression, your pressure headace, horrendous pain, imbalance gone.

2nd day.You feel like .helpless - because all over your skull and body are aching.

3rd day.You feel nausea, unable to eat- feel like you are going to voimit

4th day You getting better...all that muscle pain are gone, you just feel week

5th day you feel hungry you wanted to eat (make sure you drink plenty

6th -2 weeks - I felt awful....but yet..glad I have done it..!!!! (you can wash your hair)

3-6weeks getting ven better - (MAKE SURE YOU MOVE ABOUT) (the take your stiching out)

and as the day went by..I get better and better, I used pain killer...start moving even more....

then now ...I am drug and pain free.

NOTE:

Take open fastening bra 

Dont bother about buying Pyjama (use the hospital gown - its designed to make our life easier)

Bring plenty of cordial if you dont like just water

Eat many - many-many of fruits and vegetables (mostly kale and grapes, tumeric with your juice to reduce the inflamation quickly)

Stop drinking soda

IF you can afford Massage (deep muscle tissue massage) , relexology..treat yourself for that..its worked wonder for me.

TAKE IT EASY even if you feel better 

(my NS told me that I have to listen to my body and make sure I did not do any stupid thing at least for 4 -5 months like : hovering, carrying heavy shopping, lift my children, BUT KEEP MOVING.

Good Luck..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.