Chiari malformation ???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've had an mri which showed a 7mm tonsillar ectopia they said this was minimal but could that that be classed as chiari malformation the Neuro never mentioned it I only seen it after requesting a copy of scan

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, anything over 0mm is a chiari malformation so 7mm is definitely a chiari malformation. It’s not uncommon for this condition to be overlooked by a doctor or neurologist depending on their experience. Alert your doctor of the condition and get a second opinion. Also, the 7mm herniation on the mri is just a snap shot in time. In other words, if u got another mri, it may read 8mm or 9mm herniation. Mine said I was herniated 8.4mm on one tonsil and 9.6 on another tonsil...then my CINE flow mri said I was herniated 11mm. It can fluctuate slightly 
    • Posted

Thanks for your input much appreciated, I have had 2 more mri but neither mention it that mri that stated the tonsillar ectopia was from 7 years ago. I had the 3 mri's for investigating ms such was inconclusive so wondering if it could be chiari causing all my symptoms I was also knocked down by a car when I was younger thought maybe that's what caused it or started the symptoms even

• Posted

I’m not familiar with the term “ectopia”, I am just assuming that means herniation.

Also, chiari almost always a congenital defect problem, very rarely is it cause by a trauma. And I am assuming. That if it’s caused by a trauma, then the symptoms would be immediately following the trauma and it would be diagnosed during the treatment of the trauma...

• Posted

Yea anything I can find online says a tonsillar ectopia is a herniation over 5mm means chiari. Do you think it would be worth taking it up with my doctor to see if my symptoms are caused be chiarai there's very limited information about in the UK and they seem to use the term ectopia more than chiari for whatever reasons

• Posted

Yes it’s definitly worth bringing up. Even if u don’t have symptoms it should be monitored and known that u have chiari. 
  • Posted

hI THERE, it seems that Chiari - but each individual different - its not the measurement its how obstruction it is -how symptomatic it is..so best to get them sorted as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.