Chiari Malformation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having surgery in 3 days. Can anyone give me some tips on post op when I return home? Will I be bedridden for a few days? Just want to be prepared. My daughter is here to help me with recovery.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

Where are you??, each person diffirent, i supposed to be A WEEK AT THE HOSPITAL..but ended up 5 weeks, as I was really bad... I had to get 3 lumber punctured after that..but then..when I am home..the first 2 months was hard but hen as the time went by..I got better and better.

well I suggest you to take it easy..your body telling you if you should take a nap, sleep early,,,but keep moving each day...even walking about around the house the back garden..I used to walk each day 5 minutes then carry on added it up ..till 20 minutes...I walked from 5 meters to now 2 miles.. drink plenty of fluids.. at least 2 ltrs of water, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, cod liver oil, magnesium help me recover pretty quick..also tumeric mix with milk and honey,,,but have to be gentle to your self..do not do too much repetion job (Ironing) forget about heavy task such as cooking, hoovering, mowing , gardening ...just be sensible..lots of people got worse because they feel better after 1 month and they run, gym, back to work..like nothing happen..I will say after 3 months then start slowly...back to normal..( you can't lift a heavy thing ever now)...wearing anything front button its make easier, i even bought front opening bra..Mr flint advised me to take it easy at least 3 months then slowly after that keep increasing your activities but listen to your body..get your daughter to get you easy meal..such as porridge, cereal.. then normal sandwich..soup..if you ever go for a massage dont let them touch your neck nor your head.  Relax... take a deep breath exercise (2 - 3 minutes) stretching exercise at least just 2 mnites each day... a part from there...thanks god that you made the right decission....GOD LUCK..LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE GETTING ON..but remember: BE KIND TO YOURSELF LISTEN TO YOUR BODY SPEAKING TO YOU

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. All information has been very helpful. Will check back with everyone when I am able.
  • Posted

Unfortunatly its very hard to answer. Some people are up and about, back to work etc, after a week or two, others like myself took 3 months to come round. Qnly advice is take it easy, don't worry, rest and take it as it comes. Sorry about the answer but it affects everyone differently and until it happens you can not fore see the result

• Posted

Let me start by saying everyone is different in their recovery.  My daughter had the surgery two years ago.  Post op, she was in the hospital for three days, the doctor wanted to make sure she could be mobile.  Once home she was told she can not leave the house for two weeks, she was able to move around the house, sleeping was the problem, as the incision was obviously sore and she could not lay down flat.  The doctor did not want her bending her neck to look down, she she was upright throughout the day. Bathing was a problem, we covered a vanity stool and put that in the shower and let the water run over here (not getting the incision wet). I would bathe her and help her dress.  Good luck with your surgery, it helped my daughter a great deal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.