Chiari's Decompression Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I am just over 3 months post op. I had a Chiari's decompression surgery. My brain was 10-12 mm outside of my skull. The surgery was supposed to be 2 hours, but ended up being 4 hours because I was bleeding out and when they cut me open, my brain was so swollen that it busted out of my skull like a can of bisquits. It really concerned my neurosurgeon and he said that he had to work fast. The pressure, for the most part, was relieved; however, I have other symptoms like balance issues, memory loss, speech problems, etc. I cry a lot. My neurosurgeon dismissed me and said that I was fine and if I had any problems to see a neurologist. Well, I did. The neurologist gave me tons of meds, did an MRI of my neck and my head. The MRI came back "alright." If my MRI was okay, am I just having post surgery symptoms? I feel like I'm going crazy. I don't feel like myself and I hate the thought of living on meds the rest of my life. 

I have always had migraines my entire life, but a couple of years ago, the headache changed. I was healthy and a long distance runner. Now, I can't even walk long distances. I just don't know any more.

I don't know that many zipperheads, so I think I just need to talk to people that are going through the same thing. I feel like no one understands.

I guess that's it. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was in the same situation my surgery was supposed to be 2 hours it was 6 almost 7 hours and I didn't want to come out of my anesthesia and I came out shaking from the surgery they call it post-traumatic stress disorder from them having to go any further than they thought they would and from them having to remove an extra vertebrae to make room for the the pressure to be released but I still have bad headaches and I still get pressure problems dizziness is always there so now they say it's vertigo ice I have seizures maybe once a day sometimes I could go without them I have tried to her myself because of the depression and I cry a lot even though it's a year later I lost a very good job I have a good family behind me that help me and I have this blog that I talk to all of you and it kind of helps me I'm also doing a walk for Arnold Chiari September 17th in Wisconsin to help try and raise money to do more research because the doctors that did the surgery on me didn't know enough to know that they made me worse instead of better and my heart goes out to everybody that whines up being like me I know there's a lot out there that are very lucky but then there's a lot of us out here like this where I'm bedridden three to four days out the week because of the dizziness and the headaches and me trying to lift a bucket and like a nerve shifting or something and I get a ball behind my next full of fluids right away and my speech goes , on and off when it wants and for a while they were trying to make me think that I was going crazy butt then I seen a doctor that said I was not and that my surgery did not do what it's supposed to do so now June 1st I go back and I start all over again to try and see what they can do to help me all I can say is talk to a psychiatrist to help you with the depression part before you hurt yourself like I did I I'm just lucky enough that my family stops me and catches me when I go into my deep depression which is at least once a month please feel free to talk to me I'm a normal 40 year old woman whose life got turned upside down right after she turned 39
    • Posted

Wow. I feel the same way. I had the vertabrae hollowed out too for room. If I do an activity, I pay for it like the next 3 days. I'm just in bed and can't move. It breaks my heart that anyone else would have to go through this. I might be a bit depressed, but I just figured that was because my life turned upside down and who wouldn't be? My speech is on and off too. I asked my doctor today if these symptoms would go away and he said that it is possible that they won't. I don't take no or accept defeat very well.  ;-) Thank you for reaching out to me. I'm just so desperate feeling. I just want to be normal again. And same here, if you ever need anyone to talk to, please feel free.  Thank you so much. I hope you get better and find an answer to what might be going on. I'm having my neurosurgeon reveiw my MRI. I know I'm not crazy. Take care Melanieheather!
    • Posted

Those are my famous words I want to be normal again go back to work clean my yard mop my floor but just like u I pay for it the next couple days and everyone keeps saying it's can only help with some symptoms it not a cure but that's not what I was told when I went in for the surgery ... good luck to u as well keep fighting and I take diazipan and it helps a lot for the muscles to relax in my next
  • Posted

If you don't mind me asking where did you go? I go see the surgeon and I'm very nervous about it and after reading your story and the other replies i want to cry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.