Chiari type 2 but no headaches..

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed with type 2 chiari malformation after two MRI's. I had been complaining about feeling dizzy, being clumsy and wobbly vision ( jumping up and down) for 20 years but was just fobbed off. I was 46 when I had a fall and broke both arms I was in hospital for 3 weeks and had reconstructiver surgery on one wrist and elbow and plates in both arms. One of the nurses noticed I was dizzy and got someone to investigate.

​I am so glad I had my accident I finally got my diagnosise and it made me make sense. It explained my tinitus, the fact I throw up and have trouble swallowing as well as my balance and vision problems. I have never really had bad head aches ,

​I had my surgery 11 months ago forum magnum decompression and am now back at work and making a good recovery. I was off work for 6 months and still get very tired.  Some of my symptoms are much better and some are starting to get worse again but I saw the surgery as a way of stopping the deterioration rather than a cure.

​I am so sorry to hear so many people have so much pain but not all chiari suffers do.  Liz

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Nice to hear a positive story, I wish they were all like that, that's why this sight is so good as there are so many outcomes after surgery. And I think it prepares you for the outcome. Good luck to all upcoming operations xx
  • Posted

how many days were you at the hospital?, do you still have medication now
    • Posted

Hi I was in hospital for 5 days. I was only in intensive care for 2 of those.

​I do take Ibuprophen when I get a sore neck or paracetamol but only over the counter doses. I am going back to my GP next week to see if he can recommned anything for nausea.

• Posted

Thats good hen Liz, i think if you can stick with paracetamol that is good, try to avoid Ibu if you can, i used to work for a giant pharmaceutical company, I do not like to take any medication at all, the drug/s is there to help for temporary , its best if people can do excerccise, change their life style, plenty waters and eating the right food, taking supplements, however sometime we just can't put up with the pain, hence we always tend to go to the fast option (drugs) and gp has not got the time to explain the side effect of medicatin, they just want the patient to go away as they have not got enough time, let alone to have a break or eat their lunch they have so many patients to see each day, so the soonest you in..they ust want to prx you medication and off you go..I was the lucky one to have such a great health care professionals around me..they do not tend easily giving drug...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.