Chickened out

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well I’ve canceled March 26 th left knee replacement. I decided my right knee is still not healed. It’s been 8 months. I’ve just seen Surgeon and he said it looks fine and I’m doing great. I’m at 110, whatever that means. He said when left knee can no longer be tolerated we can do it. He is a wonderful man and I like and admire him. He said I just heal slower then others. I am 60 lbs overweight so I guess that doesn’t help. Food seems to work better then oxy or Vicodin. Here I sit at 3:37 am because both knees woke me up from pain. Just feel better venting, am awfully depressed.😞

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ah, you are probably very wise... and making loosing weight a priority will probably be another challenge to set yourself on for the time being. In lost 3 stone before surgery...just put on half a stone at Christmas so working that off.

Lots of improvements still to come with the one you have had done.

So be nice to yourself. Anyone who goes through this deserves a very big round of applause and a lot of admiration!

Best wishes!

• Posted

Feel for you I really do. I found when I woke up in the night in pain all I wanted to do was eat. It’s hard, especially when food is a crutch also. 

One day at a time and try and stay positive. It isn’t always easy I know. 

I downloaded an app on my phone called nutria check. It’s not expensive, you put in your weight and height and it works your calories out for the day.  You enter what you eat and it deducts it. I’ve found it very helpful. 

Hopefully waiting until your good one is stronger will help your recovery when you have the other done x

• Posted

Iam only only 3 weeks from TKR left knee only , at 8 days out I was doing great ready to give up walker and cane because had no pain at all, that night I woke up with cramps and have been using walker every since, so it is definitely a bumpy road to recovery, fortunately I have 2 sisters that had both knees done when they were in there early seventies. They r doing great to this day no problems , I to have thoughts of giving up, but they encourage to keep on plugging away, and the end results will be worth all the pain. So not to worry the end results will be worth it .
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I too have been told I am a slow healer. I am coming up on 11 months and still have some knee pain and stiffness. I am just now finishing another round of PT which helped me a lot. I was stuck at 117/-7 on the bends and they got me to 127/0 which is considered normal. This has been quite the experience and I too am electing to live with the unoperated knee until I absolutely can’t stand it. Hang in there.
  • Posted

My mom is about 100 pds overweight, maybe a little more, or was.  She lost 60 pounds.  She had both kneeds done 1 year apart from each other.  She has had one 4 years and one 5 years now, both total knee replacements.  It took her over 2 years for both to really get moving good.  She has her bad days, like I hear most do but for the most pary she walks on average 3 4 miles a day.  Hang in there, if it looks good it might be that your scar tissues are inhibiting your soft tissues.  Rub it, work it out, and losing weight will help.  Every extra pound is 4 pounds on your joints.  I need to loose about 30.

• Posted

Hello Arlene,

You didn't 'chicken out', you just know what will work best for you.  I am facing my second Rtkr March 12, 7 months after I had my left one done and I am not looking forward to it...but it must be done.  My left knee is still not healed as well as I would like, still stiff and a bit swollen, but it is improving.  However, because I have been relying more on my R knee, it have taken the brunt of my weight and is now giving me a lot of pain, so I must have it taken care of.  You will know when it is time to have your other knee done, but done wait too long.

Most people understand the comfort of food, it is indeed something we look forward to as a reward to dealing with our pain.  I've never understood how people can lose weight while facing stress or depression, unfortunately I've always been just the opposite.  It is difficult dealing with weight lose while recuperating from any surgery, as you are so sedentary. I really worked hard during my last recuperation to try to eat healthy, wasn't always easy and yes, I did have an occasional cookie or chocolate.  However, I am lucky enough to have a family that helped with providing me with healthy choices, that helped.  

You will improve, just give yourself credit for getting through a very difficult surgery with an even more difficult recovery.  Pat yourself on the back, you're stronger than you think.  Go ahead and vent, does the soul good.  Hang in there, things will improve and never, ever give up!  Keep in touch.

Many blessings, 

Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

I think you are right to cancel if you feel the right knee isn't ready to be the main prop yet!

Mine was 14 months between the right knee & the left TKR.

Even though the left got worse, I still couldn't have had the right done at 8 months! I wouldn't have coped!

Good luck for when you do have it done.

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.