Child diabetic and mononucleosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter is 14 years old and has just been diagnosed with mononucleosis.. She was kept in the hospital over night as they were running tests on her as she was sick too. Now that we are home I am really worried as she is struggling to breathe when she is asleep.. she has restricted breathing and then lets out awful gasps as she finally catches her breath.. The hospital weren't worried as she is getting oxygen to her lungs and have only given me ibuprofen. Is there anyone who is or has suffered with this that can give me anything I do that might aid her sleeping? It is already a worry with the diabetes at night but this is just dreadful to hear and see.. I can not relax until she wakes as much as I try.. it has nearly been a week already.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lara,

so sorry that you are dealing with this now, this virus can cause so much worry and stress but it will get better for your daughter. 

At times I have had moments where I feel it is difficult to breath and feel very out of breath/breathless even when resting, and I had one particularly bad episode while trying to fall asleep once. These types of sensations really heighten your anxiety which would make it even worse as I was hyperventilating from Being nervous as well! It’s important for her to try and stay as calm and relaxed as possible because this virus really feeds off the worry. 

To help me sleep and stay calm My doctor recommended that I take a magnesium supplement. I noticed a big improvement in sleep quality after starting to take it so perhaps this would help your daughter as well. Even you could take this to help settle your nerves a bit, I know how horrible it must be to worry about your daughter so much.

hang in there Lara, wishing your daughter a fast recovery and sending my thoughts your way.

Dominika 

• Posted

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are dealing with this. As miserable as it is, the bright side is that your daughter's age gives her a much higher chance of recovering fully and quickly.

I wouldn't give sleep aids to a person having trouble breathing. You need her to be able to wake up if she's not getting air. Anti inflammatories (like ibuprofen) will help open her airway. I know the gasping is awful to see, but she isn't aware of it if she's sound asleep when it happens. Have you got help in caring for her so that you can sleep sometimes?

Best wishes to you both.

• Posted

Hi Lara,

So sorry to hear that your daughter is going through such a tough time and have been so unwell with mono, and for the worry it has understandably caused you. 

I just want to reassure you that although this virus is horrible, it does get better with time. Don't panic if recovery isn't immediate, that is very normal with this virus, but recovery does come over time. Definitely best thing is if she can get plenty of rest, reduce stress as much as possible and take as much time out from school / studies as she needs, which I know is not what anyone would want but taking time in the early stages of this can really make such a difference - a key mistake most people make it trying to push through it like the would a flu or another virus, but this one really needs rest and taking it easy for a period. 

Taking vitamins and herbs can be helpful for sure, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex (for energy levels) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea and oregano. To help with sleep and relaxation, some of the soothing herbs like cayenne, passion flower or valerian can be quite helpful, maybe taking something like that about dinner time can help relax the body and hopefully get a better sleep later on. But of course I'm no doctor and do always seek the advice of a doctor.

Thinking of you and hoping things stabilised and are much more settled soon. The breathlessness sounds awful, hope the doctor can give something to help with this. 

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.