Child with bowel issues. What to do next?

Posted , 4 users are following.

my son is 3 and a half. since july he's had numerous problems that just seemed to appear over night.

The main ones are bowel changes diarrhoea/constipation unusual coloured stools, undigested food in stools, diarrhoea and normal stool during sleep on several occasions. night sweats that wake him up they cause pillows to be wet, and weight loss. he's also got rashes around his mouth, in his nose and on his bum we are using a steroid cream which is helping with that. he has a dairy free diet.

hes had two blood tests the first one showed high b12, neutrophils, basophils and slightly elevated platelets. we had an appointment with the paediatrician and they checked celiacs, thryoid function, immunoglobulin, full blood count which all came back normal and the faecal calprotectin came back normal today. my brother has crohns disease so I believe the doctor was looking for signs of inflammation. this week my son has had more episodes of diarrhoea and today my son did a poo that was half grey and half brown, is that normal?

the paediatrician is seeing us again in 6-8 months and we have a dietician appointment at the end of march. other than that I believe we are meant to just try and forget/ignore the problems. i'm in two minds wether to do this. My son seems fine in himself but this is affecting his sleep and his eating/weight. we are using movicol daily as of today which was advised by the doctor. i've kept a diary of all problems since october and my son has had 18 episodes of diarrhoea so far. I am thankful that the results showed everything as normal but this is also quite frustrating as it feels like this is never going to end for him.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi pondering

Have you thought of keeping a food diary for your little one and see what foods may be causing the problem. Has he been tested for wheat and gluten intolerance. Try keeping a food and drink diary daily making a note of what he eats and drinks each day and see if a pattern emerges regarding the diahorrea and any other symptoms. Also, does he attend nursery or a playgroup? if so what does he eat there? Are there any children there with the same problems? I hope you can get to the bottom of the problem...best wishes..

• Posted

I'm so sorry . Poor baby. I think maybe pro biotics will help get his tummy better. Yorgart is the best thing for him. Also try Apple cider vinegar. In a cup put a teaspoon and mix with warm water in the morning and lunch at dinner. This has healing properties for the digestive system. I hope this will help. I am praying for the little guy. Good Luck.

• Posted

I'm so sorry . Poor baby. I think maybe pro biotics will help get his tummy better. Yorgart is the best thing for him. Also try Apple cider vinegar. In a cup put a teaspoon and mix with warm water in the morning and lunch at dinner. This has healing properties for the digestive system. I hope this will help. I am praying for the little guy. Good Luck.

• Posted

• Posted

So sorry...I know this is stressful. I'd def get off gluten. They have so many gluten free options now. May not be the culprit but gluten is an inflammatory food and is probably not helping matters. I would get off all processed food actually. Cherrios is number one I read for the weed killer round up, just FYI. My daughter has issues with her poo too. It's always a strange color and she has IBS...anyway, may not be gluten or processed food but it wouldn't hurt to try and take it away and see what happens. oh and fish oils helped my daughter with her inflammation. Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.