Children and ADHD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have a brother who is 7 years old and he was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago. Personally, I don't want him to be treated with medication because I don't want him to be bullied and I want him to live a normal life. My family had a  hard time in coping with this kind of situation. What should we do? Should we continue his medication or not?

I'd just want to be aware, any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charles,

It's better to talk to the proper person, your brother needs proper medication. I saw a website that offers treatment for a child with ADHD. And also, you can check their blogs/articles to educate yourself and to cope with the situation.

https://www.adhdcentre.co.uk/

• Posted

I've read some of the articles and it's very helpful. Thanks a lot, Kieth

• Posted

Hi, I am as parent studying the subject of ADHD

?and am very concerned at the possible side effects of medication

(stunted growth etc)

? search Q&A with prof Susan Bogels

who has many yrs experience in proven alternative methods as

mindfulness that can be used alongside medication with the

intention of gradually coming off drugs,

• Posted

First of all do not quit the meds cold turkey. Those meds, as most for chronic illness, need to be tapered off of. Can you tell an improvement with the meds at all? Are you afraid he'll be bullied bc of being on meds, having ADHD, or both? You and he do not have to tell anyone but the school nurse the name of his med. Sadly kids are cruel even if you have no illness at all. If the medication gives relief from the symptoms for him then keep him on them for now and maybe try dialectical behavioral therapy. Once the therapy starts helping as well then wean him off if possible.

• Posted

Hi Shannon,

At first, he's hesitant in taking medicines because just like us he is afraid to be bullied but we told him that it's for his own good. And now we're seeing an improvement. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.