Childs DLA stopping ay 16

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello i wondered if anyone could advise me , my son has adhd and autism he has been on dla for a few years he turns 16 end of may but his dla was awarded until november , i had someone come round to the house from work and pensions tonassess wether i need to continue to be regans appointee for his a

Payments they met my son and decided i should continue , i reveied a letter saying your child is shortly reaching 16 and will be invited to apply for pip i havnt received a letter as yet but was wondering if his payments continues untill i get the invite to apply? Many thanks kelly

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, DLA payments will continue until he's re-assessed for PIP. The reason he hasn't been invited to apply for PIP yet is because they can't start that process until you're his appointee and it's noted on the computer. This process can take a couple of weeks to complete after they've been to visit. As they've now visited then expect that letter to arrive very shortly, as they usually do just before or after the child reaches 16.

Once you receive that then you'll need to fill it in and return it along with all of the evidence you have. Don't expect them to contact anyone fore evidence because it's rare they do this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent. Please do take a look online at the PIP descriptors because PIP and DLA are totally different.

Expect him to have a face 2 face assessment. As you're his appointee you'll be able to answer all the questions on his behalf during the assessment. Decision times can be anything between 2-8 after the assessment. Waiting times for assessments can be anything from a couple of weeks to a few months, depending on backlog in your area.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, i just got a bit confused because me friend revieved dla kn behalf of her child she turnee 16 the other day and her payments stopped the following week,but my childs dla form says awarded until nov 2018 5 months after 16th birthday ?
    • Posted

No problem. Her childs DLA payments shouldn't have stopped when they reached 16, providing they responded to the invite for PIP letter that they should have received. Once the invite for PIP letter is received then you have to ring PIP to start the claim off. PIP do not automatically send out the forms once your son reaches 16. Transferring to PIP is the same for those that have reached their 16th birthday, as someone over the age of 16 transferring from DLA.

Once you ring to start the claim off you will have 1 month to return those forms. It will take about 7-10 days to receive them. If you don't have enough time to fill them in and return by the deadline then you can ring and ask for extra time. They will give you 14 extra days.

Once a decision has been made on the PIP the DLA payments will continue for a further 4 weeks. If the PIP decision goes in his favour the PIP will starts 4 weeks after the DLA ends. If PIP doesn't go in his favour the DLA stops and no further money will be given. Any extra child tax credits you claim will also stop. Carers Allowance continues for 4 weeks, if you claim it.

You'll receive the PIP invite anytime within the next 2-3 weeks.

• Posted

You're welcome. There's lots of info on the internet all about PIP. I really do advice that you take a look at the descriptors to try to understand what it's all about. There's also a PIP self test online that you can complete. It's just a guide and any award will depend on the evidence you send to support the claim. It really does help to have some understanding what it's all about because PIP and DLA are totally different. Just because a person has had a DLA award, doesn't mean they'll qualify for PIP because those descriptors must apply to them for the points to be awarded.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.