Chinese herb treatment for lyme - effective?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was bitten by a tick a year ago in Lewes East Sussex and then a blood test in late September confirmed acute lyme. I've had all the classic symptoms for a year now and am not feeling any better despite 3 x courses of doxycycline and improving blood test results - the NHS have basically washed their hands of me now. I am now on a course of Chinese herbs, prescribed by a very respected Chinese doctor in Highgate, but I have not seen any improvement in my general wellbeing after a month of treatment. I am not exactly sure the ingredients of the herbal tea though I know it includes sweet wormwood. He is also doing some acupuncture which relieves some symptoms for a day or so but then I'm back to square one.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who benefitted from the Chinese medicine approach. If so, how long did it take to feel better? This is almost a last resort for me and I'm getting increasingly concerned that it's not making me feel any better, so would love to hear any comments on this. Thanks. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I'm currently 7 months into my CFS diagnosis having fell unwell in Nov2013. Prior to was a very fit guy, 34 years old. Now i had to stop work, life is not the same.

I'm 6 weeks into my TCM treatment and can't report any significant improvements in my condition. I have been tedted negative for lyme but have since found out there are other tick/insect infections namely babesia, bartonella and ricketssia, you can get these tests on the NHS fi you can convince your GP.

What i wanted to tell you with regards to my own research on lyme and infectious agents in genral is nutramdeix have a range specifically designed to deal with lyme and virues etc People appear to be using these to great effect with lyme and other infections. There is also a garlic extract called allisure might be worth checking out.

• Posted

I'm the same too Matt, 6 weeks into TCM with 2 acupuncture sessions/week so i have had 12 in total, along with herbal tea 3times/day 7 days week, i feel i should not be at the stage where i am thinking i am wasting my money, but i am. I planned on doing 12 weeks, so might do another 2 weeks and if then still the same i will quit. It's costing me about £125 week.
  • Posted

Hi Matt, what dose and duration did you have of doxycycline, uk doctors give a low dose, in America even early onset they give 200 mg x2 daily for 6 weeks here they give 100 for x 2 daily for 2 weeks, life cycle of bacteria is 4 weeks so you need a minimum of 4 weeks to kick it. My hubby has had 3 lots of 100 x 2 daily and did nothing, 400 a day for 4 weeks that did the trick for 8 months then came back, he then had another 21 days and he is well again, there is an American paper written in 2008 by doctor Joseph something google that and have a read.
    • Posted

Hi Anna, thanks for replying, I had 100mg twice daily for four weeks, then I repeated that dosage twice more over the next three or four months. I was shocked at the NHS's blase approach when I went back to my GP saying I wasn't feeling any better. They basically said 'Take some more pills if you want, but it's not going to do you any good. You've been treated.' Sounds like a higher dose for a slightly longer time would have done me more good.

Very glad to hear that your husband has finally licked it, it's such a relief because I'm finding lyme recovery stories very hard to find! Thanks again.

• Posted

Artesimin is very good for Babesia if you have that as a co-infection and it also kills Lyme. Just go slow because as a natural anti-microbial you may herx quite badly at first.  
  • Posted

Hi matt. I don't know about the herbs tho I have read a lot of positives about Samento, but I can tell you my experience with lyme. My daughter caught lyme in August 2007 and finally diagnosed in February 2008 by which time she was bedridden, in a lot of pain and mentally wiped out. The nhs gp gave her several one week and eventually a 2week course of antibiotics between September and November 07 not knowing what it was then said it was post viral fatigue even tho she was becoming more and more ill. Luckily through my own research I eventually learned about lyme and a private environmental health hospital in Herts who instantly made a clinical diagnosis and also sent off blood to usa and germany, at huge expense but which confirmed it along with lots of coinfections. She was on three different antibiotics concurrently and max dose ibuprophen for what ended up to be 3years - it took a couple of months for any improvement to show, and whenever we tried taking her off earlier she became ill again, not always immediately but within a month, so the private doc just resumed/tweaked the antibiotics until eventually she managed to stay reasonably well. The fatigue and arthritis lingered for some time after but gradually improved and happily now she is mostly well and living a normal life apart from occcasionally recurring arthritis in her knee. She had stomach and digestive pain from the drugs but i believe if she had had omeprazol these could have been avoided.We paid for all the tests and consultations but our nhs gp agreed that the antibiotics could be issued under nhs. I don't know if this would still be the case. But there can be light at the end of that tunnel. hope this helps and hope you start to feel better soon. Recovery for my daughter was very gradual.
    • Posted

Hi, wow, what a story, did your daughter have a high or low neutrophil count in the beginning ? Any anomalies with iron levels ?

I've been diagnosed with post viral fatigue since Nov2013. I'm permanently fatigued prior to was an athlete. I have had lyme tests and those for co-infections which were all negative.

• Posted

Hi David.  Just wrote a lenghty repky but phone lost it. Her neutrophils were normal but eosinophils consistently right at the bottom of the range, so not flagged but still a sign of fighting something. I don't know if nhs have changed the test they use since 2008 but the one they used then showed she didn't have lyme. Luckily I had read that particular test wasn't reliable tho doc assured me otherwise. If it helps, my daughter's symptoms before diagnosis were:fatigue to the extent she could barely get out of bed and walking short distances woul conpletely exhaust her; constant blinding headache which no meds could touch; sharp pains up and down her limbs; arthritis in one knee. Strangely she didn't have a high temperature-if anthing it was below normalaltho she felt
    • Posted

(Continued) although she felt cold all the time. She found eating a trial and had jaw pain so soups and smoothies!
    • Posted

Sorry -trying to type on my phone! For anti viral fatigue I meant post viral! That hospital can end up offering very expensive treatments but they understand if you don't take them.we only went for consultations, antibiotics and food supplements tho other things were also suggested. I hope you find some improvement in your condition soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Jo. According to my NHS bloods normal Eosinophils is 0.0-0.4 ?

Mine were 0.2 so normal. I figured i had my ELISA lyme test many months after i became unwell then managed to have a Western Blot both were negative. I then had private testing for co-infections babesia, bartonella and rickettsia. All negative. I guess it's unlikely i don't have lyme but not impossible and furthe testing i would struggle to afford. I know of MELISSA testing too. What can you suggest with regards to furthe testing.

• Posted

I've sent you a private message about her tests. I think it would be worth asking if they do any different testing or what other ways they can help you.There are so many things that can cause cfs and it's so frustrating not to know what it is. My heart goes out to you. In the meantime I guess the best thing you can do is build up your immune system as best you can through diet and supplements.  If is is lyme it would probably take a few months before any remedy will make you feel better so you need to persevere and go carefully as treating it too vigorously to start with might make you feel much worse. My daughter couldn't even tolerate doxy at the beginning because of herx effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.