Chiropractic good for AS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have lower back pain since 2014 especially morning . This have made me waking up more earlier and couldn't sleep back. My MRI result showed disc degeneration and tarlov cyst. At that time, I was not aware of AS. But now the pain radiate to neck, chest, wrist, knee slowly. My latest MRI showed loss of lordosis, multiple cervical disc degeneration and minimal disc herniation at L5/S1.But this didn't explain still why I have pain only when I sleep or stay inactive longer. I feel fatique everyday. AND I was tested hla-b27 lately. And I'm going to see a rheumatologist soon. Im practicing yoga everyday now cause it help to reduce pain. I have gone to a chiropractor twice before I knew I might have AS now, should I still continue or stop? Does anyone feel chiropractic help for AS?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have always been told no chiropractor or osteopath. The new bone that forms is much weaker and you could easily have damage, such as a stress fracture. I had a rheumatology physio use intense pressure on my thoracic spine, following which I had intense pain for 6 weeks. Very tender to touch, and could not support back against a chair. I've been told it is probably a stress fracture, or it has caused a localised flare. I already have a lot of fusion in spine. Hope things go well with your appointment. Make sure you emphasise that pain is worse with inactivity and improves when you move. These are classic signs of spondylarthropathy.

• Posted

Hi loh81405

I have degenaration of discs in the lumbasacral region which showed up on xray....i.have incredable stiffness and pain when getting up and also during sleep which constantly wakes me up. I also have bone pain everywhere which eases off when moving and after exercise which really helps...i stiffen up when inactive and get pain...I get flare ups..... some days the pain is very mild but other days very painful..flares can last for a week or so and mild pain the same..it's very unpredictable.....my rheumy diagnoses polymyalgia rheumatica which is muscular.. i have bone pain not muscular..it's hard convincing rheumy of this why can't they understand it's you who has the pain not them and you know where the pain is..it's very frustrating!!....so she has now carried out a test for the AS gene HLA-B27...not all people who have this gene gets AS...so i am now awaiting the results of this gene test which cn take a number of weeks for the results...have you had the gene test for AS?......

• Posted

I started getting pains in upper back, shoulders, neck and hips in Oct 2011. I was diagnosed PMR in Dec 2012 age 46. In March 2013 developed classic GCA symptoms although biopsy was negative. My Rheumy constantly dismissed these symptoms. I posted a picture of vascular lesions on my tongue, and a medical adviser was concerned. Short of it is I ended up under her care 300 mile away in Leeds. 18 month on mentioned the severe rib and pelvic pain 2nd half of night that eased when I got up. She said she suspected I had a spondylarthropathy and referred me to a colleague world reknowned in AS. She diagnosed me with AS, by this time I had fusion of the SI joints, ribs fused to spine and neck fusing. Apparently late onset AS can present like PMR. My head symptoms are due to the level of inflammation in my neck. Still get burning temples, tongue claudication, tender scalp etc, but has improved. I was promptly put on biologics and feel like I'm getting my life back now. Still get pain where damage is, but stiffness is so much better. If your Rheumy isn't helping ask GP for referral to one of the advisers on the NASS charities webpage. Good luck 😁

• Posted

Ya.. my hla-b27 is positive.. so,..it really point to AS.? I don't know, I not yet see the rheumsthologist. I hope yours negative and if you want to reduce pain, I think yoga really help. Not 100 percent, at least 60 to 70 percent.

• Posted

Hi maureen61742 and loh81405

Thank you for your replies i have taken all your comments on board...i shall wait until the results of the HLA-B27 gene test comes back before i do anything...thanks again and best wishes......

• Posted

Be aware you can be negative for the gene and still have AS. Good luck 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.