Chiropractice treatment on vagus nerve

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with Afib for 8 or so years.  Have had two ablations which have left me having even more attcks.  When in AFib,after hours in fibrillation I am aware of an intense surge to me head (almost like a build up of presure)which almost makes me think I will black out.  I don't, but as soon as the 'surge' stops (seconds) my heart returns to NSR. Has anyone explored the use of a chiropractor to make adjustments to the vagus nerve  eg The act of “Vagus Nerve Stimulation” is a pretty hot topic these days in the research world. It’s showing promise for so many things, but what you may not know is that the stimulation doesn’t have to be an implant or invasive. Regular chiropractic care increases your Vagus nerve activity. A study in 2006 monitored HRV, an indicator of Vagus nerve activity, and found that patients who received regular chiropractic care showed improved HRV. [8] 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Is this the nerve in your neck if so a paramedic told me not to massage it he said its very dangerious
    • Posted

Think you might be talking of  carotid artery, the area on your neck where you can feel for your pulse too.

"The vagus nerve is the longest cranial nerve and the vegus forms part of the involuntary nervous system and commands unconscious body procedures such as keeping the heart rate constant and controlling food digestion."(thank goodness for google!!)

• Posted

My chiropractor has offered to give me a course of three treatments to work on the Vegas nerve but I am too scared to try it.
  • Posted

I had one ablation and got worse, so my doctor put in a pacemaker. So much better now. Good luck!
    • Posted

Had second Ablation at QE in November. Should have follow up three months later but appointment came through in June for my local hospital. Managed to get earlier appointment but we had SNOW so I could not travel in and EP did not make it from Birmingham. That was three weeks ago and not had new appointment. My heart has been really unstable since procedure. Ectopics, flutter, tachy runs. Last 3 weeks they have gone but am going 2-3 days between AFib attacks which are lasting 12/13 hours.  

when conventional treatment fails it is tempting to consider alternative such as chiropractic and seeing nuitrisionist At that point now!,

• Posted

Hi Shirley - very interesting re Chiro and vagus nerve.  Never knew that and will look into a bit more.  I have been seeing a Chiro for very many years for back and neck pain.  She knows all the ins and outs of my heart history though she's never mentioned this and I might ask her.  I have PAF by the way and have had three ablations.  Hate to use the word 'failed' but had an episode 10 months after the third though nothing more since then fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Annie, let me know how you do. Really hoping my Afib will calm down, no idea why the second Ablation has had such a detrimental effect would love to go A week between afib attacks!,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.