Chiropractor or Osteopath?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

over the last seven years of my back problem I have had a lot of various treatments.

I have had a lot of physio but once my back and buttocks got too painful just to run my hand over them I stopped.

I have always been told to stay away from either of the 2 services mentioned above but now wondering if to give them a try.

If you have had any experience with either please share.

Many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi sherry i have used both chiropractor and osteopath which can both be very expensive, with a chitopractor or osteopath dont expect quick results they both take time before feeling the benefit however in my experience i feel the osteopath may be your best bet as this is a more softer approach to your problem you will ache the first couple of times but gets better after a while but like me i had to keep going back after a few months sometimes six i would feel well i found once you get to that stage have a check up every few months unfortunately for me it got to expensive hope this helps albert
  • Posted

I guess it all depends what the cause of your problem is. Neither worked for me but I know others that swear by both treatments.

Like everything else you need to choose carefully. In a bid to keep my custom one offered to "draw the toxins from my body" by massaging my feet! It was the last time I visited a chiropractor. I'm not sure that such "treatments" are part of the training but the individual concerned was into crystals etc.

I take it you have had the usual x-rays and mri's in a bid to identify the cause?

• Posted

Hi Sherry,

Sorry to hear about your back problems, you have my every sympathy! As regards Chiro or Osteo, you really need to know what the basis for your pain is. It sounds from your description as though you have Sciatica in which case Osteo is generally the preferrable option. However, before you go down either route, I would suggest you get an MRI, if you have not already done so and then it is a matter of personal choice. Either one with can be hideously expensive and I would also recommend doing your research through recommendation before going to either. Whatever you choose, good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Best wishes,

Kimneutral

• Posted

Hi Sherry,

I've tried both. They helped in different ways but didn't completely take the pain away and the results never lasted. 

If I could recommend any method it would be Egoscue. Got rid of my mine 10 years ago and its never come back. It literally changed my life.

T

• Posted

Another simple thing which helps me, is sitting on a 'Swiss Ball'. Yes, one of those exercise balls which you can buy from Amazon for about £8. You can also use it to do your back exercises smile
  • Posted

Hi Sherry

You have my sympathy. Back pain is so debilitating isn't it. I have only tried an osteopath and have been going to a local one for years. She is great and always seems to sort out my problem when it goes into a spasm. She recommended a Pilates class as a means of strengthening my back muscles and this has proved a huge help. I still need to go occasionally, but not nearly as often. Some osteopaths use the 'softly softly' approach, while others seem to like to hear the 'crack'. Mine is the former. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your imput.

It is always good to hear people's experiences 

I think the thing that bothers me most is that going to either will do more harm than good.

I will have to do more investigations me thinks.

• Posted

Good idea. Also, if you have had X-rays done in your back, take them with you to show the osteopath to make sure he/she reslises the extent of the problem,Annoyingly, it is expensive - over £30 in my case.for a half hour. Should be offered on the NHS  of course.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I am quite reluctant to do this but ....

Being a tad unhappy at 20+ years of scans, physios and consultants that say "Do pilates" I thought I'd have a go at self diagnosis today. The reasons for this are complex and I swore I would never do it.

I took a look at the mechanics of the lumbar region and within 30 minutes of Google I have come to the conclusion that I have damage to my thoracolumbar fascia (this morning I didn't even know I had one).

​I have read several sets of symptoms and I just about have the lot! I shall take this up with my GP on my next visit and I shall warn him that I will take a lot of dissuasion of this conclusion. Look it up and see what you think, all the best.

• Posted

have you tried a pain clinic. /They inject pain relief at the base of the nerve and you should be pain free or have lowered pain for a period.

richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.