Chlordiazepoxide and alchol withdrawl

Posted , 7 users are following.

Went to the doctors finally he prescribed chlordiazepoxide (Libriam) is it safe to take this with alcohol withdrawals I won't have a dangerous seizure will I people on yahoo answers says it can't prevent seizures. Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, I’m not medically qualified, but I do know, having used it myself, Chlordiazepoxide is the drug used for alcohol withdrawal . Diazapam (Valium) is also used for alcohol withdrawal.

Its the safest way of having a detox and to avoid seizures and DTs which can be fatal.

Im presuming your doctor has agreed to you having a 5/7 days home detox. Are you getting support from your gp, and do you have a responsible adult who can check on you? Ideally your gp will have given instructions on how to take the Librium. Normally start with a high dosage and reduce gradually each day.

Providing the dose is high enough, it’s a relatively painless way of withdrawing safely from alcohol.

Have you discussed after care with your gp. The Librium to a certain extent kind of replaces the alcohol. Once detoxed, you need to have a plan in place for the next stage.

Personally I took an anti craving drug acamposate (campral). In an ideal world campral should be prescribed alongside the Librium so that it’s kicked in. There is another method if you google The Sinclair Method, it uses another medication. I’ll leave that for others to explain as I’ve no experience of it.

• Posted

Do chlordiazepoxide (Libriam) actualy prevent seizures tho I'm realy worried.. Thank you anyway for your reply

• Posted

As I said, I’m not a medic. The Librium is used to prevent seizures not cause them.

However, my understanding is that with repeated detoxes, the brain is affected and there is a higher risk of seizures.

I don’t think anyone can say with 100% alacrity that if you take Librium you won’t have a seizure.

Theoretically, you could have a seizure after taking paracetamol for example, seizures can happen to anyone regardless of whatever medication they do or don’t take.

The Librium is used to help withdrawal symptoms, and to stop the risk of seizures.

Put another way, the risk of having a seizure after withdrawal is far higher without Librium, than taking it.

Drinking whilst taking Librium is extremely dangerous and anyway pointless. The whole point is to detox your body from alcohol in as safe a way as possible.

To put your mind at rest, phone your gp or ask a pharmacist.

• Posted

I am not a doctor either. My two cents is worth just that. 

Librium is not classed as an anti-convulsant (seizure preventer). It is an anti-anxiolytic (anxiety) in the benzodiazepine class. I was given a benzo for panic attacks that, at the time, were thought to possibly be from alcohol withdrawals. (They were actually a symptom of my undiagnosed PTSD.)

Regardless...I am personally not a fan of giving one super addictive (as benzos are) substance to help someone come off another one they’re already addicted to. I took as I was told and ended up having to detox off the benzo. So just be careful w the Librium. Don’t take any more than you should. 

If you have questions about seizures though, then you need to call your doctor. I do sort of wonder why they don’t give the anti-convulsant (like Gabapentin/neurontin)  as much as they dish out the benzos.

I’d also make sure you have someone who can be with you 24/7 for a few days as you withdrawal. Good for you for taking the step. 

• Posted

You may not be a fan of giving benzos to someone suffering severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms. However a 5/7 day course during detox is far safer than stopping cold turkey, thus increasing the risk of seizures, DTs and hallucinations.

Chlordiazepoxide, when taken correctly for 5 or 7 days, can actually save your life and doesn’t cause addiction in that short time.

Believe you me, severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be life threatening and cannot be mistaken for PTSD, 

• Posted

Totally agree. Depends on the person and their withrawals. 
    • Posted

Great Reply Vickylou. Medication is always the safest way forward, not cold turkey.
    • Posted

Hi robin

I know you stopped drinking completely five and a half years ago without any medication. Did you suffer severe withdrawals?. Was it the fear of not seeing your twins grow up and losing everything that kept you sober?

Hope you don’t mind my asking and I know you always tell people not to suddenly stop without medication.

• Posted

Yes we are all different and it does depend on each individuals withdrawal symptoms. I’ve never had DTs, hallucinations or seizures, but have seen someone with all three and it is really frightening.

.you’re absolutely right about having someone with you 24/7 for a short while.

• Posted

Just clarifying....never recommended cold turkey here.  K. I’m done. 

Good luck tom70687. You can do this. 

• Posted

No one on this forum would advocate going cold turkey. Robin did stop that way, but he always tells people not do what he did.
  • Posted

Joining late and suggest reading leaflet inside package. AlwAys give clear narrative of side effects etc. Just a thought.
  • Posted

Librium effects the neuro receptors in the brain exactly like alcohol. That's why so many people get addicted to it as well. But you can use it as a tool to ween yourself off of alcohol slowly and not go into severe withdrawals. I have done it multiple times and never became addicted. I was also perscribed gabapentin at the same time to protect myself from going into seizures. If prescribed the correct amount you should be perfectly safe. For myself the first week on Librium and gabapentin was always the hardest as you had to completely stop drinking. If you drink too much with the medication it will effect your breathing and you can pass away. This is what my doctors told me so I never even messed with it. The more times you have detoxed the harder it gets. I went from 20+ shots of vodka a day to maybe a couple of drinks on the weekend. I follow TSM and take Naltrexone. If you do detox and keep it successful you might want to try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.