Chlosteatoma surgery, leaking stitches!! please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My girlfriend had chlosteatoma surgery a week and three days ago, everything seems to be healing pretty well.

Then about two nights ago she woke up in a little pool of blood/fuild leaking from her dissolvable stitches which smells like the disinfection pack in her ear.

Is it normal the have a leak from the stitches?

And it's seems that everytime the stitches scab again the surrounding skin/area feels bouncy like it's filling fuild.

She doesn't get her pack out until more weeks time, I've tried to ring NHS but they all say different.

Smiles Charlie

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Charlie jess

My son has had 5 operations to remove extensive colesteatoma. Where is your partners stitches? are the just above the ear? or are they behind the ear. The fluid leaking could be from the packing in the ear my son had this a lot on his last operation. It was blood stained and smelt strong of antiseptic stuff that's the packing and that can stay in the ear to help healing and prevent infection for weeks. The longest my son had his in for was 4 and half weeks.

If the stitches looks red and angry then defiantly go back to either gp or ent because that could be signs of infection on the scar. My son did also have like a fluid build up but this was when he had the cut above his ear it was due to granulated tissue.

I hope this helps.

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

You mean the outer ear, where incisions were made to flap the ear during surgery?

That does sounds strange to me. Some blood from in the ear is normal, but not where the incisions were made. I would go to the Dr who performed the surgery to have a look at it for sure. Bleeding from within the ear isn't strange, if only the cotton ball in the ear isn't saturated quick. But your gf is leaking from a place that should be closed. Have it looked at as infections aren't nice after surgery.

Thanks,

Mipam.

• Posted

Hi,

My daughter is on her 5th operation and the packing is full of iodine which helps with the healing. After my daughters first operation we ended up in A&E as she had an allergic reaction to the iodine after a week of having it in her ear so its always good to keep an eye on it. If it gets red any swelling or hot to the touch seek medical advice. Its very big surgery and takes a long time to heal, hope everything goes well for her.

• Posted

Hi justine,

Sorry to hear about your daughter having to have 5 operations too it really sucks.

May I ask how old your daughter is? My son is 12 and was firstly diagnosed at 7 and had an operation ever year. It's so tough on them isn't it. My son is now getting prepared for his 6th revised mastoidectomy. His balance and nervous system is very very bad and his ear is complete dead ear no hearing at all.

Best wishes

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your message and so sorry that you are going through so much with your son. My daughter is 10 and was diagnosed last at the beginning of last year after many ear infections. It was extensive so she had a mastoidectomy unfortunetly with a consultant that was not experienced enough in this field as we first thought. His answer after repeated problems following surgery was the only thing that could be done was oblituraturation of the ear. Thats when we got a second opinion and she is now under someone so more qualified and knowledgeable. So she has had a further three operations and reconstruction and has her next operation in a couple of weeks. So shes been through alot in a year. I just dont know if it will end I read so many different reports and when I read your message and what your son is going through. I worry that it will keep coming back and if we dont keep having it checked there is that chance that it will eat into the plate and then be close to the brain. Perhaps thats me as a mummy fearing the worse. Just wish they werent going through it. I hope your son is ok and good luck with his operation please stay in touch and let me know how he gets on. Its nice to be able to talk to someone going through the same.

Best Wishes

Justine

• Posted

I am having the same issue!! 

I had cholesteatoma surgery exactly two weeks ago. Things had been okay...having the normal pains and sounds in the ear that they said to expect. But yesterday out of nowhere, the back of my ear literally started oozing fluid. It is a brownish color, and does have somewhat of a foul odor, but I also can kind of smell the antiseptic type smell. My husband checked it out, and I have a hole directly behind my ear in this spot that looks infected. I sent a picture via email to my doctors nurse. She called back and said that my doctor/surgeon didn't seem too concerned. He said to keep antibiotic ointment on it and keep it covered. It scares me though because there's literally a hole behind my ear and that really worries me. He prescribed ear drops, but I'm not sure how this will help the external ear?? I still have 5 days to wait until my appointment. I feel so torn, because it's obviously infected, yet he doesn't seem like it's a big deal. I know I just need to trust my doctor, but still...I'm worried about it. I had some leftover Augmentin from having bronchitis, so I'm going to take it just as a precaution. 

If anyone else has any suggestions, feedback, advice, or anything please let me know! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.