Chocolate and sugar gave me a nasty bout of skipped heartbeats tonight. Urgh!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm struggling to understand something about skipped heartbeats. I've had them for years, and the past week I've not had many at all.

Today I counted a handful that I noticed. Nothing unusual there. But, at 10pm I went to the shop for milk and picked up some chocolate and sugar snacks. I rarely eat sugar/chocolate and thought I'd treat myself.

I ate them all (yes too much chocolate lol)

30 minutes later my heart does it's crazy dance. The only way I can describe these skips is like a fish flopping around for a second, then it stops and a minute later happens again.

I had them bad for 10 minutes and then decided to stand up. And like magic they're gone. They haven't returned for the past 45 minutes.

What gives? How can sugar/chocolate and sitting down all seem to cause the horrible skips?

You see, I get different types of skips. Sometimes they're like little birds flapping their wings type flutters. Other times they're hard jolts/thuds. Other times they're the flip flop pause feeling.

Feels like they come from the lower heart area. Something to do with the stomach or vagus nerve maybe. Who knows.

It's so annoying!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Caffeine and sugar, known causes  of all that you endured I'm afraid.  I'm not sure if you can get caffeine free chocolate or not, but white choc may be better

• Posted

I may try some white chocolate and see what happens tomorrow. I've read something about dark chocolate too but I can't be certain.

• Posted

Ok, white chocolate contains zero caffeine  but high refined sugar so you may see if it's the sugar or not. 

• Posted

Have you tried eating for your blood type.  If you are not eating dark chocolate, the milk chocolate and sugar is hard for your liver to detox.  The wrong foods will negatively effect your rhythm.  I speak from experience.  Go to check yours.  Dr. Dadamo wrote Eating for Your Blood Type almost twenty years ago.   It will make a difference.  All of my episodes have taken place around 2 am when the liver is working overtime to detox.  You may need a more alkaline type of diet.  

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

My EP said no chocolate and limit all other sweet things,no caffeine, alcohol, or medicines for coughs and colds!

wine has always given me palpitations and coffee has always made my heart race so it made sense to me.

diet is very important as it relates directly to the heart. It's trial and error as we are all different.

keep the vagus nerve calm!

• Posted

Hi James...you described it perfectly !.....I eat lots of chocolate and didn't know it  cause this.I have had AF for 2 yrs and am still trying to understand it....Thanks for sharing this....I will cut out the chocs and see if there is any improvement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.