Choestyramine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everybody, I have had crohns now for 53 yrs, during which I have had two bowel resections and a number of other operations. I was prescribed Cholestyramine by my consultant around 18 yrs ago which I am still taking today, I take the questran sachet. Although it does it's job well in controlling Malabsorption, About four months after starting on this medication I developed discomfort in my lower back just beneath my rib cage

?which then radiates up ribs. I still suffer with this discomfort today which is really miserable. Now it may just be coincidence that this started after beginning with my cholestyramine.  Now I have tried to stop using it to see if it makes any difference but I had to go back on it straight away which shows that I cannot do without it.  I mention this to my consultant and asked him if there was anything else I could take, and he prescribed a tablet form of the cholestyramine but unfortunately it did not work as effectively for me as the sachets.  I was just wondering if any of you had changed from the sachet to the tablets and whether you had found them successful and if so whether I need time for my system to get use to the changeover, And finally has any one else suffered with this discomfort in the lower back when taking the cholestyramine in sachet form. Thank you.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I was on questran for bsm for a while earlier this year, they then switched me to cholestagel tablets which is easier to take. I find they do help but since being on steroids & Humira I haven’t needed it so much so only take when I’m really bad.. Never had a back issue though on it I’m afraid.. 

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your quick response to my question, it is appreciate. If I could ask you one more question with regards to the "cholestagel" tablets.  Did you find that that they took a bit longer to act than the powder and therefore did you have to take them longer before having a meal.  The reason that I ask this is that I was put on these once but they did not seem to work for me and I was just wondering that the fact that they are in tablet form rather than powder that I should have allowed more time for then to work

• Posted

Hi

I’ve only started taking them again recently as coming off steroids. I just take 1 tablet as I’m going to bed as it’s really tricky for me to take the 3 I’m prescribed as has to be an hour after medication  or 6 hours after taking it. That’s too tricky with me as on meds all day long. 

They do work pretty quickly so should only be a day or so before u get tracks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.