Choking in sleep?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

it does not happen all of the time ,  and it only happens once when i get to sleep i wake up and my breathing sort of heavy i can catch my breath and cough a little and go back to normal and and sleep without any problems ,i just wake up a few times with tiredness but just normally and can get back to sleep. When i wake up fully in the morning  feel wake and not tired but sometimes if i wake up early i am tired but once i stay up for a while i wake up and the tiredness goes way. is this sleep apnea? i am scared

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It does sound a bit like sleep apnoea, but it's nothing to be scared about, it's not going to kill you. I've had this for years and have the physique associated with sleep apnoea (short, thick neck) but I'm still going strong in my mid-70s.

Unfortunately I live in a country where the possibility of sleep apnoea in women still isn't accepted, so I can't be referred to a sleep clinic. However, if you're male, or living in a more forward-thinking country where doctors believe women can get it, you should ask for a referral to a sleep lab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.