Choking sensation in my throat & the need to heave a deep breath to pacify myself

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since Thursday, I have no idea how was the inception of this maniacal disorder, it just came out of the blue. But if you want to know, yes it's been really anxious days for me as I will be going to study afar, with so many things on my mind and suddenly this illness struck me, making situations worst. I have this kind of "something in my throat" feeling that makes you feel like wanna vomit. No, my family background none of them has been diagnosed with cancer before. This sensation goes on and off. I can swallow food and drink very easily like any other ordinary days before I got this illness that is already driving me crazy, it's like stuck in my head although I tried to shoo it away. When I eat, the "lump in throat" sensation goes away but after meal, sit down, the feeling bounces back. Is it because I'm thinking about it too much or what? I really don't know, helpless. Apart from that, this feeling also triggers conscious breathing whereby I need to take in deep breath to clear the feel in my throat. But it's not at all times though. In spite of that, that isn't something normal to me, taking a deep breath for no apparent reason. 

I just came back from a nearby clinic, I told the doctor from the top to bottom and he checked my throat and he said I got swollen throat. No fever. No cough. So he gave me medicines for treating swollen throat but at the back of my mind I'm dissatisfied because swollen throat, why must I consciously take deep breath? Shouldn't breathing be automatic? 

I'm worried to the core if this illness becomes a quotidian 'task' for me to endure. sad I'm 18.

I scrutinized the internet, so let me asked you I got acid reflux, GERD, cricopharyngeal spasm or globus sensation? Which one suits my illness?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Stress can certainly trigger globus sensation, which is the something stuck in your throat feeling that you describe. It's unlikely you have cancer at 18.

As for the need to make an effort to breathe, that could be related to stress and fatigue. At least, that's what I have experienced. Have you been getting enough sleep?

I would keep going back to the doctor if you still keep having symptoms, until they can confirm a diagnosis. Keep bugging them until you get answers!

• Posted

Append: And during this stint of difficulty, I burp a lot and then I feel relief from the pressure in my throat a smattering bit. Yep jane i also don't smoke, nor slug alcohols so it is safe to say that no cancer for me. Thank you very much jane. I feel like wanna cry for somebody giving me a very sweet tips. Lol i just dance to music i play it's a good method to ward off the anxiety.
  • Posted

Hang in there! Things will get better! Dancing will help. Doing things that you enjoy will help with the anxiety. And keep bugging those doctors!
  • Posted

I find that burping does relieve the strange feeling for a short while. I have also noticed that If I am distracted or doing something that I enjoy, I do not have the strange sensation anymore, but after a while, I start to focus on my throat and can feel it again. The main thing is that we know it can't physically hurt us, we just have to find our own ways of controlling our thoughts and anxiety around it. Hope you get some relief soon!
  • Posted

Hi,

Exactly experiencing all that you have mentioned from top to bottom. Unfortunately i also used to smoke and drink. Although i have stopped now.

I also get a feeling of dehydrated mouth when i feel the sensation of choking/vomit/can't breathe.

When I discussed with doctor he said imaging of throat needs to be done through camera.

I am really confused now. Helpless.

Can you please tell if your problem is gone or not?

What is the diagnosis?

• Posted

Google laryngospasm. There is a video out there too. No cure. Acid reflux ill can be an aggravater read about it. Only thing you can do is try and relax. It's an involuntary muscle so nothing will help it. I do get my vocal cords botoxed for it. You can probably call a major clinic near you ask for ent dept. ask if they Botox vocal cords then set up appt with dr to see if you truly have laryngospasm and if they can help. There are meds but I had side affects cymbalta is one amytropoline can make you sleepy good luck just try to live with it is my only advise

• Posted

And yes they put a camera down my throat and examined my vocal cord dysfunction. They are shifted off to side cause could of been due to intubation when I had surgery or a virus can cause this. They can see if your vocal cords are opening and closing like they are suppose to. Mine do but I still get waves of tightness and choking sensation and I cough. Dr told me not to cough easier said than done
  • Posted

Hey,

Happening to me since the past 10 days.

I am really scared.

U posted this an year ago.

How are you now?

Please help me as i have very less exposure to good doctors.

Reply ASAP.

THANK YOU.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.