Cholecystectomy: Did anyone have diarrhea naturally improve?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I had my gallbladder removed 7 days ago. On the surface level, everything appears to be recovering just fine. With that said, I've been experiencing some digestive problems since day 3:

- Every morning I have 2 back-to-back bowel movements

- They're always full of bile (bright yellow liquid)

Reading around these forums, it's starting to seem like either people were never hit by this at all; or have otherwise never had it improve after many years.

I'm starting to lose some hope here.

Did anyone go through this procedure and experience diarrhea/excess bile in the early days; but did end up improving from that without medication? How long did it really take?

Thanks!

Note: I'm 32, sticking to a healthy low-fat diet and have no other health problems

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I did. I hadn’t been told what to expect after the surgery so went to see my GP and she said it was totally normal after surgery to have yellow coloured poo. Took a good month or so but even now (7 months later) I can still have yellow poo, especially if I’ve eaten something that’s got too much fat in it. Just gradually build up on the amount of fat you eat. There’s still things I can’t eat but was definitely worthwhile getting the gallbladder out! I’m 30 btw and never took any medication xx
    • Posted

Thanks Scottie, hopefully my symptoms improve soon. My gallbladder was in a fairly bad state, so I had no choice. I tried correcting things with dietary changes and put this off for 8 years.
  • Posted

I have seen many posting that they are getting D after surgery and it resolves after 2 weeks on it's own. However if it is not resolved, always there is colestipol, which is abile agent which will fix your issues.But I feel it is better to resolve on it's own.

Did you removed for stones or low functioning and what was your symptoms before surgery?

• Posted

I was dealing with stones (confirmed on ultrasounds as well). I knew they were there for over 8 years and was managing things fine. Until about a month ago where I was in pain just about daily after every meal.

I'm to meet with the surgeon tomorrow for a post-op consult. On the operating table when I woke up, I recall him saying: "that gallbladder definitely had to come out"; but never got context. I imagine they found some scarring or something.

Thanks for the info!

• Posted

I suspected bloating, but I'm a fairly thin person. Now that it's out and my stomach is far more flat, the bloating is fairly obvious to me. :P

I rarely ever burp, it's one of many of my oddities, I guess.

• Posted

Paul I am so sorry to hear at such a young age you've had to have your gall bladder out and are feeling pretty rough ! have you ever had said to you that you may need cholestromine maybe spelt wrong but google may help you on that one , you see now the bile is dripping out your liver and not your gall bladder ask your doctor if he can suggest this to you.I have not yet had mine out but have had stone removed from bile duct and it's been widened since then I've been really poorly to much bile dripping .anyway I've been in hospital because after having stone removed had pancreatic problems that can happen now waiting to have it removed.So please ask your doctor if this may help you . All the best .

• Posted

I spoke with the surgeon yesterday and he did indeed prescribe cholestromine. He only told me to take it for a week and thinks the bile issue will get better in another week or so. I'm scheduled to follow up with him again at that time.

I posted another update in a comment below, the results show more than just gallstones, I also had cholecystitis. I'm ultimately glad it did get out, as this would have kept progressing into a far worse condition.

• Posted

General Update:

I visited the surgery and the gallbladder was confirmed to have had cholecystitis and of course gallstones (I knew about those, though).

The Surgeon believes it was the right move getting it out, as that does explain the pain I had and was only going to keep getting more problematic / potentially dangerous.

• Posted

Any gallbladder with gallstones will be inflamed right? Or folks have only gallstones without inflammation?
    • Posted

Just checked with nurse, any one having gallstones is marked with cholesystitis.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info! I was told specifically that the walls were swelled. Maybe that's just par for the course with the stones.

• Posted

Reading comments I wanted to answer a few, including yours, hope you dont mind...Stones come in different shapes & sizes so yes they can damage the gall bladder or you can have lots, they can move around, cause inflammation, blockages(which is an emergency) you can also have actual disease in the gallbladder where it actually progresses...its good you had it out, now the bile goes directly into stomach so you can have D after surgery(the yellow bile tells you the source) and it can resolve within a few weeks/months, it is possible to have yellow poo, softer, more often & if it continues your doctor can put you on meds to help...dont get discouraged, you can manage symptoms & they may go away...I had mine out in 2015 due to stones, my husband suffered for 10yrs to the point of blacking out from pain...they NEVER found his GB disease until they took it out, the surgeon said it was the worst he'd ever seen...we are both good in that area now. I hope you feel better soon and that your symptoms get better, dont be afraid to go back to Dr or call if you have questions/issues(that is their job)😁💟

• Posted

So sorry I made a mistake...I meant the bile goes into your small intestines...like a dummy I wrote stomach, I have a hiatal hernia so its STOMACH on the brain all the time😉

• Posted

So sorry I made a mistake I wrote STOMACH instead of SMALL INTESTINES...I have a hiatal hernia so its STOMACH on the brain all the time....I apologize if I confused anybody, I NEVER want to share BAD INFO...Thanks and Best Wishes💟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.