Cholecystitis pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with with cholecystitis a week ago. I spent three nights in hospital. Had scan and put on anitibiotics and pain relief. The pain was unbelievable. Although it is less painful now I still get paid more so towards the end of the day. I can't do much other than walk from one room to another. What I'd like to know is how long will this pain last? Will I have it until I have the gallbladder out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sheelagh, saw your post hope I can give you some comfort from my experience just before Christmas I was admitted to hospital with a temperature of 39 and climbing at the time, the pain like you described was awful. I was given pain relief and antibiotics iv drip for several days, plus a scan which confirmed my gallbladder stone or stones they keep changing which it is! It was suspected I had the cholocystitus like yourself but the results came back I did not have this. Even though I was displaying all the relevant symptoms of that. Although my diagnosis was different to yourself. I gradually recovered from the experience and left hospital on the 19/12/2017. I was pretty weak after this experience but I’m now a lot better and awaiting my operation date. My thoughts and empathy for what you are going through is very hard. Take all the care and rest you can get and As much rest as you need. Don’t over do it when you go home and you will hopefully find things better I hope you get results and care you need to full health as quickly as possible. I do know that the more occasions that you are in hospital this does put you up the list for surgery. I know because I’m on the urgent list now and feel a lot better than I have done. Good luck 😉 any thing else you need to hat about by all means message me x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am finished the antibiotics and am managing without pain killers. I find myself feeling exhausted. I find that my back aches if I am standing although I can bend. Do you get this.

I guess I am going to be like this on and off until surgery?

Hope you are having a good day.

• Posted

Hi Sheelagh, sorry later reply just seen the message. Yes I did get very tired doing not much, especially when I came of hospital. I found that resting and have naps helps me even now. You really have to be kind to yourself I’m not a person who likes coming to standstill but had too with this. I try and eat little meals, I get thirsty a lot so keep myself hydrated. I’m studying at the moment so try loose myself in my work to keep my mind busy. I’ve found if I rest when I need to and don’t over do it, it helps a lot. Hope things will get better for you soon xx
  • Posted

Hi Sheelagh,

I had acute Cholecystitis and infection in Dec. I was in hosi for 3 weeks and got a drain in my gallbladder. The terrible pains went went I was finished the antibiotics but the pain remained until I got my gallbladder out last Tuesday. Mind was such a mess tho. But basically you have to get that diseased organ out. Hope it eases a bit abd good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.