Choledochal Cyst

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all, so happy I found this site today! I am scheduled to have a laparoscopic surgery to remove choledochal cyst (type I) + hepaticojejunostomy next week. I found out about my condition about a year ago but have been putting it off until now because it sounds like an awful and very invasive operation even with the minimal invasive method.  I am 40 yo female and no symptoms whatsoever. The condition was discovered last year as a result of gallstone attack, which happened only once so far. I had a very difficult time coming to terms with the surgery.  I understand the increased risk for cancer and other complications if choledochal cyst is left untreated thus decided to have it done now. For me, it's a preventive measure to eliminate future risk. Has anybody had this procedure done via laparoscopic method? Can you please share what to expect in terms of post-op recovery, pain level and complications? Any insight is greatly appreciated. I am very nervous! Thank you very much!   

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Two years ago i was same.  Just one attack, scanned and saw stones so dr said have lap op.  It was no problem, sitting up by suppertime having tea and toast. Soup next day then home.  pain was pretty minimal and scars small.

only problem can be diet post surgery.  I need to stick to plain food, i have cut out fried food, gluten and dairy and that seems to be working.  This is only my case, others can eat most foods.

you wont know till you have had op how your tummy will settle and theres a med dr can give if you need it.

so all,in all, i think op is safe and pretty much pain free.  You will be up and about very quickly.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your posting! If you don't mind... how old are you? I am 40, which means I have been living with this condition since birth and never knew until last year.. Kind of wish i did not learned about it so I don't need to struggle with medical decision now...

Sounds like you had a much easier time with your surgery decision compare to me... I am really struggling neutralMy biggest fear is that if the surgery did not go well or complications develop post-op, I will be so much worse off than I am now. Seems like a big risk to take for an elective procedure...  

Gallbladder removal is lesser of a concern for me but hepaticojejunostomy is freaking me out. I am aware losing gallbladder requires some diet modification but not sure what kind of complication or side effects would come from hepaticojejunostomy? Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi, i had this done at 64.  Im not sure about the hepaticojejunostomy but im sure your surgeon will be able to answer your queries as they do these ops all the time. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.