Cholesteatoma 3rd surgery for my child in few days

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with cholesteatoma in March/2017. That's when the first surgery was performed. Over 3 hours -and many bones had to be removed  including the support around the facial nerve. She was left unable to hear out of her right ear.  We thought the 2nd surgery that followed in October would be for prosthesis. However, when the dr went in there were 2 places and one was directly wrapped around the facial nerve. She is having her 3rd surgery may 1st in a few days.  The dr did not think he got it all around the facial nerve last time. As a mom I am scared but trying to reassure her it's going to be okay. She is the oldest of my 4 kids. I found this forum unable to sleep in the middle of the night. I am from Alabama. 

Cindy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had my surgery done in Atlanta the doctors name was Jennifer tirino she did an excellent job with me 3 yrs ago it took about five hours mine to was wrapped around the and under my jaw I lost taste sensations and even with new prostetics I can't hear out of my left ear. I had a bone conduction hearing aid placed that works great. Hopefully your little one won't need that it has it's drawbacks with swimming and getting it wet.

• Posted

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. I was a very worried mama. My daughter had her surgery a week ago and thank goodness there was only a small place that had to be removed. The facial nerve was finally pristine good he said. He went ahead with prosthetics but a lot of packing had to be used. She feels great. No hearing yet but it may take time. We can always try other things. Just thankful after 3 surgeries it is finally gone. She used to be very involved in gymnastics but we had to stop. She gets dizzy very easily now. Do you have trouble with dizziness

Thanks,

Cindy

• Posted

Please choose your doctor well. It's all about getting the right person with experience. Most of the doctors have limited experience and skills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.