Cholesteotoma or infection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have diagnosed ETD, although the symptoms indicate PET not ETD (this is an ongoing discussion with my ENT).

Anyway, i have had an outer ear infection the last week or so, i've been given Otomise to treat it, although the infection discharge stopped before i started taking it. 

I've kept taking the Otomise, as the nurse stated, however the fluid i keep squirting into my ear just feels like its blocking it up and not draining away properly. 

Attached is a photo of my eardrum (courtesy of my new otoscope). Can someone tell me what is on display here? The pocket at the top seems to collect fluid, and my main concern is there is a risk of cholesteotoma which, if is the case, i'll need to expedite my next ENT appointment. 

If it's just the remnants of infection, then i'll just wait for it to [hopefully] clear up!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello 😊

I have had both PET, and ETD- they rotate.  Right now since last June I’ve had an etd flare up. 

I’m confused by your diagnosis, as anything involving pet and etd involve the inner ear. Either there is a mucous build up in your inner ear making your eustacian tube become stuck open, causing pet. Or when it’s sealed shut and won’t open and close causing etd. 

What are some of your symptoms? 

Etd and pet is hard to diagnose because it cannot truly be seen as it’s in the inner ear. 

They said you have an infection in your ear canal and you are on antibiotics for that’s correct? 

• Posted

Hello Ashleysnyder - 'mucous build up in your inner ear making your eustacian tube become stuck open, causing pet' - I have had PET permanently for over three years and have never heard this explanation before, either on the Internet or at audiologist or ENT consultations.  Could you please tell me the source of this information? I would like to look into it.

Thank you.

Maureen

• Posted

ok ~ I just reread. You were diagnosed with ETD outside of the ear infection?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.