cholesterol

Posted , 3 users are following.

has anyone any knowledge of how to lower cholestrol natrualy with supplements etc 

its for a lady whos 70 already eats a healthy diet and has a  family history of strokes . 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi tiswas 

when you say healthy diet do you mean low fat? as this maybe her problem re high cholesterol

• Posted

well it wouldnt be healthy if it was high fat .would it hun .razz
    • Posted

actually eating saturated fat is good for us as recent studies have shown. Low fat isn't as good as previously thought, especially as most if not all low fat items contain large amounts of sugar which they add to replace the fat content.

my advice re supplements to lower cholesterol are I wouldn't bother as the only supplements that claim to lower cholesterol are Red rice yeast which leads to similar side effects as statins which isn't good.

Then there's plant sterols, found in bencol and flora, plant sterols are actually plant cholesterol and when consumed our bodies produc less human which leads to lower levels when tested as blood test doesn't show up amount of plant cholesterol.

i would like to stress that no study has yet been done to see what effect plant sterols do to humans in the long term so I wouldn't suggest taking it in any form.

the best way to lower cholesterol through diet is eating low carb, adding saturated fat, eating full dairy like butter, cheese and milk. 

Avoid low fat products, processed oils like veg and sunflower and half fat milk and cheese, also stay clear of margarines.

i do realise what I've mentioned regarding diet goes against what we've been told for years but if you do a little research into low carb dietry affect on cholesterol, along with recent studies on the benefits of saturated fat you will notice I'm not as barmy as you perhaps first thought 😄

• Posted

no not at all i agree 100% its just that i am asking for someone esle 

and as high cholestrol or high blood pressure i dont suffer with i thought i would post for more info

. [proberly because i eat butter cheese and use lard]

iv known about all what you said for years  not that anyone listens 

the biggest mistake i ever made was going on to skimmed milk from full fat ,my health problems started around then , 

iv made it up to semi skimmed , and i keep trying full fat . 

its all a big con by food industry . to use excessives of what ever they have left over from proccesing something else .corn syrup as i am sure you no being one of the very worst . thanks for your imput and i am glad there are others out there of the same understanding . 

its logic really for centruys we ate full fat every thing and natrual things like meat poultry fish grains fruits all seasonaly its only when we started messing about with faddy diets that things have started to go drasticly wrong .eek

• Posted

I got my cholestrosl down from 5.6 to 4.8 by eating 2 apples a day.  I read about some research which was done using dried fruit, although that would be higher in sugar I think.  My GP was amazed.  My uhuband also lowered his, not as dramatically but his was only 4.9 to start with. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.