cholesterol 6.3 .what's the best food to eat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Cholesterol 6.3 .but what kind of foods are the best to eat .my cholesterol a few months ago was 5.4 so obviously gone up.I'll be honest I don't eat very healthy .but not sure what kinds of food are good to eat .I've been offered statins 10mg a day which i started yesterday. I suffer from anxiety and constantly thinking something bad is going to happen. I always eat breakfast which is always granola .is this good or bad for u ? Look forward to any advice thank you

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi dawn. If u try porridge for breakfast. Lots of almonds and my doctor also said to take apple cider vinegar. Mine also went up to 6.8 so I'm hoping to see some improvement at next visit.

• Posted

Dawn,

First and most important is the anxiety.  I understand that and have dealt with the same issues over the years.  Not what average folks call anxiety either. I have had multiple ambulance rides.  I for the most part have kicked the anxiety over health conerns but it still rears its ugly head from time to time although not the ambulance type.

I have tried all types of diets and none have worked for me.  When I say I have tried diets I mean I have really tried.  We have a dietician at the fire department and I would stick to it without fail and it had very little impact for me. I have tried the no fat diet, no dairy, no sugars and all the other standard diets.  I think the Mediterranian  diet makes sense.  Others have had good results with the standard diets.  My ratio is really good so thats where I leave it and my cardiologist feels this is the best plan.  I exercise really hard and maintain a generally healthy diet.  I did try statins (10 mg Lipitor) and my total cholesterol levels came down to 176 but my ratios remained the same. In my case I believe genetics dictates the levels for me.  I have had the carotid ultrasound and while my carotid age is 1 year older than my actual age so we are going to keep an eye on it.

I would assess your overall health and address it first.  Take up physician supervised exercise if you can.  I have gone a bit overboard as a marathoner.  Have the carotid imaging if you can and see how aggressive you need to be.  As I mentioned my doctor is happy with a total cholesterol of 238 since my risk is 1/2 of normal. Check out the guides below.  Hope my ramblings help at least a little.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Mike. Many thanks for replying to my post .a lot of what u say makes sense .one thing I don't understand is the level of my cholesterol. I've been told it's 6.3 buy what does this mean in the other terms when u say yours is 238 .I just don't understand it thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.