Cholesterol meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

During 2006 due to sudden and severely increased intensity in FMS pain and exhaustion from FMS (I assumed coupled with Sleep Apnea) I accepted the necessity of closing my business, hiring weekly help to do my household tasks and allowing my husband to take over cooking as I could no longer stand long enough.  Walks with my dog were a thing of the past. Being told I was a type “A” personality I couldn’t understand how I could let FMS take me down like this.  I tried Lyrica but not only did it NOT relieve my pain, I lost weight, couldn’t concentrate long enough to watch a TV show, was sleepy all the time AND had sudden fluctuations in blood pressure and heart rate. 

Early 2008 I visited with a new Cardiologist who asked me if my FMS pain had increased after starting Lipitor the year before.  Suddenly the time line seemed apparent.  That’s when I stopped statin meds and went on a OTC med which kept my cholesterol around 210 but the good was really good and the bad wasn’t so bad.  

But early 2017 a cauterization showed an 80% blocked in main artery in back of heart.  A stent was placed in my heart but I’ve been left with stable angina.  The doctor says because I now have heart disease and 60 and 79 percent blockage of my carotid arteries my cholesterol must be less than 180. He started me on Repatha which I assumed was a NON STATIN cholesterol med.  But based on the deterioration of my physical health/mental health and the intensity of pain plus what I read online it is not. 

PLEASE do I have any other treatment choice?  My husband has been fighting cancer for over two years now and finally we learn it’s not going away.  His condition changes from one day to the next and a number of times due to his reactions to chemo I’ve had to rush him to the hospital.  I MUST be strong to care for him.  I need to live and don’t want a stroke but please this pain is horrendous. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Nancy

I'm so sorry that you are having to cope with such worrying news about your husband whilst you are feeling so poorly. I hope someone here has something more useful to say.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

my mom got diabetes last year and because of the medication she was on and i think the diabetes itself her cholesterol went up, her neighbour had a simialr situation and she got meds for the cholesterol then more meds for the side effects ofthat then more for the side effects of that and so on untill she has so many meds to take and is almost a walking zombie god love her. my mom decided to try to deal with her health overall and get her pancrease back working because the more insulin you have to take the more problems. insulin is bad for many other systems and so the lower your sugar the less insulin you need the better. she bought a juicer and started juicing and using different herbs. now she wasnt on statins so a lot of these herbs can really affect you badly if you are on statins because they work quite well and in teh same way as statins. so you cant mix them. its very dodgy and you would need somone who is able to monitor how the herbs are affecting you. but within a year she was off all her medications and managed to avoid the avalach of medications and complications. but you would really need a doctor who is familiar with these things and there are not many out there. most medical doctors are not aware of herbs and a lot of herbal doctors are not medical doctors ..for example before my mom went to hospital she was seeing a herbalist who was treating her with herbs and whatever was in them or wasnt in them she ended up in emergency,s he needed insulin and the herbalist didnt say hey you need to go to a real doctor this is serious. so that is a danger. but there are lots of food that lower cholesterol, lots of foods that lower blood pressure etc, and if you talk to your doctor about it and say you want to make changes can you keepa  close monitor on how these changes affect me and adjust my medications accordingly then that is the safest thing you can do. herbs can be difficult youd have to really trust the herbalist and also do a bit of yoru own research or cross check with your doctor because if you got teh wrong thing and started taking it willy nilly it could have a big effect.

i know that heart disease can actually be an infection of the heart, like bacteria actually gets into yoru heart, so immune system is important, your body can do things like fight infections, get rid of cholesterol etc when it is being really well looked after. so you have to support your bodies natqural ability to adjust and at teh same time avoid things that make your body unable to function as well. like stress, stress makes yoru blood flow to your extremities and your body doesnt heal as well under stress. when you are relaxed your body says ok we dont have any immediate threats we can heal, like being in den when you play a game of chasing. if your alway son the run you cant catch your breath so you go and touch den and then you are safe and can recover enough to continue the game. you obviously have had some serious stress over the last while. so bringing some stress reducers into your life will be hugely helpful. meditation is scientifically proven to help with pain adn lowering stress blood pressure regulating heartrates, loads of things, and theres no chance of it going badly wrong, you arent introducing anything that can harm you you are just practicing a mental excersise which brings you relaxation and all that goes with that. it can help you deal with future stresses better as well. so i would say that is the first easiest most benificial thing you could add to your life if you dont already practice. and the second thing would be food. theres a ton of diets and ideas out tehre but the one that is the most sensible and the most long lived is simple " get plenty of fresh fruit and vegatables" and thats all most people need to know, theres so many ideas out there its overwhelming but it all seems to boil down to plenty of fruit and veg. my mom studied nutrition and ive read so many books on it but at the end of teh day i really do think teh simplest anaswer is the best. and for my mom who couldnt eat because of her meds the uicer was brilliant. if not a life saver. she literally could nto eat teh meds made her so sick. she lost so much weight she was like a littel bird. but the juice gives you a boost of nutrients vitimins etc and is easy to digest because theresno fibre, fibre is really good for your heart though so you could if you can eat well enough, eat teh actual fruit and veg themselves, or make them into smoothies or soups, teh more you cook the veg the less nutrients as some of the vitimins break down with heat. i juice the hard veg like kale and carrots and then use softer fruits blended in my juicer like apples and pears which have fibre but are much softer. and although kale sounds disgusting and i could never eat a whole bunch of kale you can drink a whole bunch of kale, a whole bag of carrots and a few apples this way much easier than trying to cook it into a meal. unless you doctor has advised against eat some fruits and veg they cant do much harm either. at teh most you may end up farting a lot and having some strange poos for a few days but once yoru body gets used to it i dont think it can cause any harm. 

so those are the two things which everyone in any situation good bad or indifferent can do to improve almost any condition. and the third would be using specific herbs to target our condition but as i said you will need a good knowledgable herbalist preferably one who also is a medical doctor so they can monitor both sides of the situation. 

oh an obvious one would be excersise but considering your health you would want to go easy on that id s

and the other thing is to consider infection fighting foods, keeping your teeth clean and adressing any gum disease which is connected to heart disease and eating foods like garlic and oregano might have some effect on bacteria levels. 

another thing which is nice and wont do any harm is some kind of healing. be it reike, or i once went to a christian healer although i am not christian myself it was very nice and i had a good cry and felt a lot bettter so even if you dont believe it works it can still be a really nice thing to do for yourself, having a person to talk to about yoru feelings which we wouldnt normally want to impose on others even close friends, because you cant always tell them everything, so someone who you can talk about how things feel is important. its like having back up a bti of couching and then its easier to get back in the ring, so to speak. i have never found a counceller i really liked and ive tried quite a few but i did have a wonderful person on the samaritans phone line one time who helped me so much to figure out some things in my own head. 

hearts respond to stress and they respond to love, and joy. so teh more love and joy and stress free you can get things for yourself the better able your heart will be to cope and heal. thats how i see it anyway. i have a weird heart thing my doctor wont even look at so i am trying to sort it out myself before it becomes worse, i have no idea what i am doing and theres so much information out there so i am just sticking to basics, a walk every day, as much fruit and veg when i remember to drink my juices, and trying not to get stressed out and get enough sleep water etc. even those basics are difficult. 

another thing which i havent tried myself is cheyenee pepper its supposed to be amazing for the heart. i was taking some herbs but someone siad dont take them even though i felt they were good, so i stopped, and i cant stand spicy food i have a bag of cheyenne here, so im going to try the tablet form and see if it helps, hard to know. i dont think it can do any harm i hope. its all a bit of an experiment to see what works when nobody seems to really know what is good or bad any more. so i just try to do the least potentially dangerous thing that might help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.