Cholesterol of 8.7 at 35

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been back to my GP in the last few weeks after continual hypertension for the last couple of years which peaked at 190/124 two weeks ago. I was started on Amlodipine 5mg, had eye test and ordered to have further bloods done and urine dip. I went back to my GP today. I've got to redo urine dip, but bloods showed "generally normal results" but cholesterol of 8.7 and today's BP reading of 168/104. GP says cholesterol levels are the highest of anyone he's seen of someone my age (35) and called me a "ticking time bomb for death" which has not done me anxiety levels much good! ... He's increased Amlodipine to 10mg daily and asked me to go back in 2 weeks for further BP check. Had 24 hour heart monitor on August this year which showed heart as fine .... I guess my question is if anyone else has been in similar circumstances ... And whether I should start statins which is something that was suggested by doc today. To add last year my bloods showed raised liver enzymes and ultrasound confirmed fatty liver. I have made big changes to my lifestyle and current liver results were normal. I am 35 yrs old and 10 stones 4 lb. my dad had high cholesterol and was stated on BP meds in his thirties ... Any advice welcome:

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hve been taking statins for 16 monhs since a blood clot etc....an experienceing fast  increasing osteoarthritis in fingers and ankles.....never really happy with them but told I need them....now I have been put on Ciprofloxacin 500mg antibiotic for bacterial bowel infection have been taken OFF them for a few days....it will be interesting to see whether the pains in joints etc decreases during this time...I shall be careful to not eat any high cholesterol laden foods of course...I am 80 years of age, but am sure this has nothing to do with the increased pace of the arhthritis...any comments will be read with interest........
    • Posted

Nice to hear there is some medical reason sometimes to be taken off them.  Nothing about that was ever said to me.

When I was doing radiation therapy in '80 for Hodgkins Disease I had to make a week long trip down to LA to donate sperm, they were not sure I might not need chemo and that would have rendered me sterile.  So that trip would be a hedge against my future as a father.

I asked if it was OK to disco the ratiation for that space of time and they said yes, it keeps on working for a lot longer than a week without the next treatment.  My skin was starting to sunburn from the Xrays, and if I had not disco'd the treatment for that week I think I could have had third degree burns.  But nothing had ever said about being able to disco treatment for a time.  They simply wanted to funnel people into, thru and out of treatment again, get you outa there and the next patient in there.  

I feel I would have had to fight to disco because of the sunburn, that they would have given me skin creams and continued the treatment despite it.  Can't say for sure, just sayin'...

• Posted

Hi,my husband now has totally numb feet,we suspect is statin. The doctor advised him to go off it a few months to see if it helped,perhaps you should ask your doctor if he feels that would be safe for you to try?
    • Posted

U dont know if a few days would show any difference
  • Posted

I have now deleted the latest posts and reposted my comments from yesterday below. I really do not have time to get involved in personal disputes so please do not reply to this and therefore start the arguments again. If anyone thinks I need to see or check posts use the Report link to draw it to my attention or send me a Private Message. 

I have deleted the sub discussion which turned into arguments/debates. These are open forums so are individual's opinions. However do not get into debates and take subjects off topic. This is a polarising topic so strong views are to be expected but please do not get into scaremongering, name calling and just using the forums to slate statins. Points of view can be expressed as personal experiences/opinions without taking the discussion to yet another debate about the pros and cons of statins, "big pharma conspiracy" etc. Remember not all users will have the same issues so do not post stating that statins will have negative effects for everyone.

I will be checking recent discussions and will edit/remove posts as required and PM users if required. This does not mean Patient is pro or anti statins or controlled/financed by drug companies as we regularly get accused of.  

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.