Cholesterol Trap - Help/Suggestion !!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I need some advice from you as I had tried many things and seems I am not getting the result I was hoping for. I am 34 years old vegetarian, non-drinker, non-smoker. I do little/medium exercise occasionally (not rigid).I am watching my Cholesterol from some time now and tried to change all my eating habits. I had followed one set and checked cholesterol after 6 months but seem not enough fairness and then re built my whole diet and tried again ...but still not even hitting close to the mark. My HDL is going up which is good, but I am trying to bring my LDL down. Doctor is saying just be on medication as there is no food that can help this. My cholesterol was in range in 2012, but at time I was carefree about my diet.

My LEVER and Kidney function comes all good every time in the result.

Age – 34

Weight - 80 Kg (came down from 100 kg in 2012)

Height - 5 feet 11 inch

Activity schedule – Occasionally

What activities - Swimming/walking/running/biking

Set 1: (From March 2016 – Dec 2016)

On daily basis I was on green salad, veggie, beans, olive oil, cracked wheat,  apple, ginger, garlic, onion, less sugary food, no butter, no soft drinks, no artificial juice.

Set 2: (Jan 2017 – Apr 2017)

On daily basis I was on green salad, veggie, beans, coconut oil, avocado, kiwi, lot of nuts, hot water, quinoa, cracked wheat, ginger, garlic, onion, fresh carrot juice, Liver cod omega 3 capsules, less sugary food, no butter, no soft drinks.

PLEASE CHECK THE IMAGE FOR CHART

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

C/HDL is the one you should look at. 

Its slightly on above the normal limit. No worries though. 

Just continue to do Set2 indicated by you above, while eliminating sugary food if you can. Omega 3 oil or better yet wild salmon is better than  Liver cod omega 3 capsules  if you can make one change. Also, use whole carrots instead of just juice, so you can get fiber that helps in lowering cholesterol. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I can get sugar out as well - I can do that. Will do the carrots as well. But I was very conserned about LDL, so i should be looking at c/hdl ratio?

I did brought my Trig down in last 2 years or so as I am not eating unhealthy fat anymore. In set 2, I am NOT sure what brought my HDL down as well.....do you see anything in diet (set 2) that caused my HDL drop?

• Posted

You changed from olive oil to coconut oil. 

Olive oil is good; so would recommend to get extra virgin one for regular use, although can use coconut oil a little but not too much 

• Posted

Reason I switched from olive to coconut, as with on olive oil for 6+ months....my LDL and trig shoots up and then i give a try to coconut oil and it does bring it down. My only concern with set#2 is why my HDL went down??? Also do you have any experience how long will it take with natural diet for my LDL to come down to normal range....is 3 -4 months not enough? Please advise.
  • Posted

Your cholesterol readings can change all the time. Research what cholesterol does in for your body and how diets may not affect it much. I found that 25% of your body’s cholesterol is in your brain.  Big number for such a small part of your body. Just had my cholesterol checked and my total cholesterol dropped from 199 to 100 and my cholesterol/HDL ratio went from 4.2 to 1.9. I’m clueless about this and have made an appointment with my primarily care physician. Found this out from a yearly wellness check that my husband’s company offers. If you do the wellness check they reduce your yearly insurance premium by $1000 dollars for the next year. I did have to have both of my hips replaced this last year. Strange thing is they never bothered me until my left started aching a month befor going to the doctor. He showed me the X-ray’s and said he was totally surprised I could even walk. I had been walking between 5 to 9 miles a day.
  • Posted

Hello hi I have a question do you stress
    • Posted

Bring stressed can cause alsorts of problems as it raises the level of cortisol which damages the heart.

I looked after my dear Mum who had dementia. The stress of it left me with an extra ectopic beat. Fortunately it's not life- threatening  just a nuisance. 

So if you can , step back take a deep breath  and walk away.

• Posted

Wow ! That's a healthy diet. I've recently started the 5.2 diet to try and reduce my raised  cholesterol. You eat very little for 2 days and normally for the rest of the week. I'm hoping it will help as I don't want to take statins as they can have a bad effect on the body.

• Posted

I agree with your Doctor.  Your doing so many things right but yet your LDL is way too high.  You are a candidate for a statin.  Even though it is rare, make sure you have checked your thyroid and pancreas as these 2 areas can cause elevated cholesterol.  But is is most likely you need a statin for this problem.

Your diet looks pretty good.  I'm not a big fan of coconut oil.  In fact, I'm not a fan of any oil with the exception of a tiny bit of olive oil.  Also, eating nuts should be in smaller amounts.  But spices like ginger, garlic, cinnamon, rosemary, and turmeric are excellent.  Sugar and salt of course should be minimal. I'm not a fan of eggs. In recipes, Aquafaba is an excellent substitute for eggs...And 1/2 unsweetened applesauce and 1/2 mashed banana is also a good substitute for eggs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.