Cholestral Increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi been on sertraline since last March started on 50mg and now on 100mg. Before i started i had a blood test and my cholestral was 5.2 however have recently had another and my cholestral is now 7.3. Anyone else seen an increase in cholestral figures? I have not changed my diet or lifestyle so can only contribute the increase to Sertraline

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I'm so glad you posted. I previously asked a similar question as my cholesterol was in the 4s, but after 5 years of being  on 50mg of Sertraline, it was 7.1. I couldn't understand why there was such a difference, and have wondered if it had anything to do with the sertraline. I'm off it now, and my last check was 6.9. Coincidence? I'm hoping it will continue to come down. I was also diagnosed with type 2. Diabetes, and while no doctor will say so, I wonder if it had anything to do with the sertraline. 

Regards,

J

• Posted

Hi Paul

I have been on Sertraline since November 2014 starting on 50mg and then increasing to 150mg. After the normal side effects things have settled down and I feel less anxious and depressed. However during this time despite the fact that I have lost 2stone in weight and have taken up exercise and have a BMI under 30 my Cholesterol has risen from 6.1 to 9.5 so I have had to start taking Statins. I asked my Doctor if there was any reason whySertraline would  increase Cholesterol levels she looked on google and found a number of anecdotal accounts but no firm evidence. I don't know if there is anything we can do to find out more but it does seem strange that several of us have had significant increases in our cholesterol levels.

• Posted

If you do a search for sertraline high cholesterol you will find an actual research paper where insulin and triglyceride levels increased on sert.  This study only went for 12 weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks i'll take a look scary stuff, My doctor has recommended i switch to Prozac so will stopping Sertraline and starting Prozac tomorrow. Ill have another cholesterol check in April.
  • Posted

Hi

I’m new on here.  I’m interested to read about you guys noticing a rise in cholesterol. I too have values which have crept up. Been on Sertraline for over ten years. Now have cholesterol of 7.8! 

My GP had referred me to a geneticist to find out if I am carrying Familial hypercholesteroleamia gene 😢no mention of the fact that I’m on Sertraline and that it might be responsible... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.