Cholestrol Medicine Satin

Posted , 5 users are following.

I got type 2 diabetes (controlled) for last 10+ years. Along with Glycophage I was given Simvastin 10mg alternate days (but was not having high cholestrol). Recently my doctor got changed and in tests my cholestrol all normal and he has asked to stop Simvastin and continue only diabetes medicine. Recently in a health magazine I have read its not recommended to stopped Satins like that. Confused Can you guide .. any suggestion.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kris, different people have different opinions on this.

If your type2 diabetes is controlled with just some Glucophage (generic: metformin), and your lipid panel looks good - or is even too low! - then I would say you don't need the statin.

The textbook answer is "all type2 patients should be on statins just because of comorbidities" or some such language, but OTOH numbers are numbers. And type2 diabetes that is well-controlled for years almost doesn't count.

What was your last A1C, and what was your last total cholesterol number?

• Posted

I too am a Type 2 diabetic HbA1c 57, total cholesterol 5.4, HDL ratio 1.2 on diagnosis 5 weeks ago, and my GP wanted to put me on statins. But I was originally on statins 10 years ago for 9 months, 80mg Simvastatin pd, and had such horrific side effects, including total faecal incontinence, I was put on Atorvastatin instead. That was just as bad so I was taken off and it took me 9 months before my muscle functions returned to normal. Your dose of Simvastatin is low and I guess you are not having any side effects (lucky you) otherwise you would have mentioned them.

Statins can affect the muscles and of course the heart is a muscle - a point I made when I said I was coming off them - and I asked then "if this is what the statin is doing to my bowels, what is it doing to my heart?". There was a protocol that everyone over 60(?) should be put on statins regardless of their cholesterol level, for their own good and I know some GP practices do apply that. Fortunately my GP practice now no longer does, only for medical reasons. (And probably the cost implications of over-prescribing). 3 weeks ago I had this discussion with my GP and was told that diabetics should ideally have a total cholesterol reading of <5 mmol and a reading of HDL ratio of > 1.5.

So the question is "which will do more damage to the heart, the diabetes or elevated cholesterol?" My neighbour has uncontrolled Type 2, and had 2 heart attacks in a year, at age 48 and 49. My GP and I reached the decision that I would follow a healthy eating plan for 3 months then have my cholesterol level checked again. If I was still above the recommended levels, then I would try an alternative to statins, which existed before statins, (one of the fibrate drugs) to lower my cholesterol.

This is just a suggestion - why not ask your GP if you can be phased off statins, and tested for cholesterol and heart function 3 months or so down the line? If your cholesterol has risen above the recognised protocol then he would no doubt want to put you straight back on statins anyway. I've rambled a bit, but tried to look at things from all sides and possibilities, not just my own admitted bias against statins.

• Posted

Also, you can have ultrasound and cat-scan checkups for arterial plaque buildup. If you're over 65 and have low plaque buildup, that's another argument that you don't need statins, as long as your lipid numbers are OK.

The newer explanation for how statins work is NOT that they lower cholesterol, they do that, but that is not always a good thing. The newer explanation is that they prevent the buildup from cholesterol at any levels, that they are anti-inflammatories!

• Posted

Kris,

New regulations came out last year regarding cholesterol. Doctors should no longer give statins straight off, they are supposed discuss with you other options e.g diet, exercise, then maybe give something other than statins due to the damage they cause, the numbers have also been changed. They are learning slowly cholesterol is not our enemy.

If you doctor says stop, stop. Best thing to do for your health.

• Posted

Hi,

Statins are no longer suggested as often as they were earlier as they have an impact on muscles. So your doctor will have to take a call.

Thanks

Z

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.