Choose EDOF or monovision with monofocal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I had a monofocal IOL (Tecnis) implanted in my right eye due to cataract in 2015. I was only 40 then. The doctor said my cataract may be caused by high myopia (-7D) or previous PRK operation. At that time, doctor chose to set my right eye to intermediate vision as I work in front of computer most of the time. I can see clearly from 50 to 70cm by right eye now and don't need a glasses for most of the activities. Need reading glasses for prolonged reading.

My left eye is getting worse. It sees spiderweb like image to bright light sources (traffic light, street light, break light, etc) day and night. image

With left eye alone, I can't tell the outline of a car 10 meters away from dusk. All I see are light patterns crossing each other. But with right eye's assist, I can see the cars and the original position of light sources, so I have no problem driving at night. ( I have driven 60km one way on 401/QEW and locals every work day for two winters in Toronto)

I'm seeing doctors to have my left eye implanted, as it barely sees anything. But three doctors all said my only choice is another Tecnis monofocal with monovision, because both eyes have to use the same type of lens. But on internet, many surgeon are practising mixed IOL implantation. Are doctors in Toronto too conservative?

Based on studies I did recently, I think EDOF may be a good candidate for my left eye targeting to distance vision. Then there will be no blurry area between distance and intermediate by using monovision. It can also tolerate the calculation error considering the difficulty with post-PRK eye.

I understand EDOF may have higher chance of visual effects. However, my left eye now has much worse effects by cataract and I'm living with it. I think I should be able to EDOF.

Should I insist using Symfony in my left eye? Or should I wait longer for newer lens available in Canada like Tecnis Eyhance monofocal?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chen,

Do you know when the Tecnis Eyhance monofocal will be available in Canada?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.