Choosing between surgery or physio, what should I do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Dear ladies, I have some news about my rectocele and I need your advice, hope you can help me to decide.

I had cystocele and hysterocele surgery 5 months ago and after surgery I have developed a rectocele. It is mild but I have problems in the bathroom and feel like a ball in my rectum constantly. 

I went to my check last week and my gyn confirmed that I have a rectocele. He saw also some stitches inside my vagina. He told me to have surgery for the rectocele and he would remove the stitches in the op also. He told me not to worry, he would use stitches for the rectocele repair (not mesh).  He scheduled the op for June.

Well... the following day I had an app with my physio who said "DO NOT OPERATE THE RECTOCELE!!!". He explained that my rectocele is mild, he is sure that I can fix it with rehabilitation. Rectocele surgery has bad results, he said, and many problems afterwords with sex. Is that true?

It is the same situation I lived two years ago, when I began to feel the cysto and hysterocele, the physio said not to operate, but after 1 year physio treatment, finally I had to operate. 

What do I do? . I do believe in physiotherpy, but as a complement of surgery. For my experience, I don't believe in it as a substitute of surgery. Should I postpone the op, do the physio treatment and see what it happens? Or should I operate now? It would be very stressful for me to have like a year of treatment just to have the surgery finally. What do you think? Hugssss!

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hijadeonagro,  I am mobile and can do most of my work.  I have a husband who helps me a lot, but works full time, so I am alone all day. I am constantly feeling pressure in my low abdomen and pain in my vag, but it is bearable.  I'm scared that the second operation could make things worse. I have 2 pieces of mesh and a sling.  I am now considering calling the surgeon to further discuss if this second surgery will help that much.
    • Posted

Dear Dorothy if you are alone almost all day it is not weird that you are only thinking about your problem. Do you have someone in your family or friend you can share your problem with? It helps a lot to go out and speak to someone who is aware of your problem while your hubby is at work.

As for the surgery, I'm sure it is going to be fine. Only you have to choose a good surgeon who you can rely on and as I see you have chosen a good one. Just make sure he/she has experience in the field. If he has seen that the previous surgery was middle done, he has to be good, and if he agrees to operate knowing all the problems that you had the first time, He must be good.

If he is going to operate you, He won't mind that you call him or ask for another app to ask all the questions and tell him all your fears. If he is professional he will answer all the questions you ask. Make a list ( someone in this forum gave me the idea) of questions and ask. I would ask about previous experience with similar surgeries. It is normal to make sure that he has experience and he can cope with any problem that could arise in the op.

My dr thinks some of my questions are funny but I don't mind, I prefer to ask than leaving with doubts.

This won't last forever, you will be fine, you have had bad luck once that's all but this time with a good experienced surgeon it will be different. 😘😘😘😘💪🏼

• Posted

Dorothy I have read again my comment and I have some mistakes with time of the verbs, My mother tongue is Spanish, I'm sorry... Hope that the main message gets through well...

Please write us from hospital and we will send you our love

• Posted

What surgery did yuou have hun? I'm 2 wks anterior repair.xx

I love Spain,I had a penfriend from Madrid.lost contact over 10 yyrs ago

Her name was Sonia Jimenez clavero☺☺

• Posted

Sorry hun I did read yuiur post the other day,I forgot what you said but I've just read it again.xx
    • Posted

Hijadeonagro,  I thank you so much for your kind words and good advice.  You make me feel more hopeful.  God bless you!  You are also in my prayers.  Dorothy💕❤️💕
    • Posted

Yes, I understood your message , no problem.  Again, I am grateful for your advice and concern.  Dot xx
    • Posted

Welshgirl don't worry, there are many woman in this forum, it's almost impossible to remember each ones surgery.

I live in Madrid too... By the way I don't know your friend... Hugs😘😘

• Posted

Dorothy I'm happy to hear that. Sometimes I don't know if I explain myself well... I've learned a lot of medical vocabulary by the way...

Let us know as soon as you speak to your consultant 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.