Choosing the best Cataract Lens

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help and opinions needed.

I have a cataract and astigmatism in my non-dominant eye only. My dominant eye has no cataract, minimal astigmatism and is easily correctible to 20/20 with glasses/contacts. I am a candidate for a cataract lens implant in my non-dominant eye only. I am only 28 and am very active. I work and require my vision to see up close, computers, as well as distance. I participate in many outdoor sports/hobbies that require both near and far vision. I will say I have at best been corrected in my non-dominant eye to 20/30-20/40 before the cataract formed so have not relied heavily on this eye for vision for many years.

Have been considering the panoptix or the vitvity and the risks associated with each was discussed by my surgeon. Have read many reviews on both options and many threads discuss more about having implants in both eyes. I do have to drive at least 3 times a week at night due to work so the halos with the panoptix is concerning. Is the contrast loss a concern with the vivity if only going to be in one eye? I will still be wearing contacts/glasses to dominant eye after cataract surgery.

Anyone have any experience with a similar situation or any suggestions? I know probably any lens will be an improvement but just makes me nervous. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

If you can be corrected to 20/20 and 20/30 or even 20/40 I suspect your binocular vision is still very good and personally I would postpone surgery. You might be fine for another 5 years or so depending on how fast or slow it progresses. In the meantime the Juvene lens might be approved. As for Vivity, your natural cataract free eye will more than make up for the slight contrast loss of the IOL. Should be fine. But again, I would wait. With one perfectly good eye I'd say there is no rush at all.

• Posted

" I have at best been corrected in my non-dominant eye to 20/30-20/40 before the cataract formed so have not relied heavily on this eye for vision for many years."

I am not sure I am understanding all of this correctly. Are you saying that even before the cataract formed the vision in this eye could not be corrected to better than 20-40? If so, what is the reason for the inability to correct to 20/20 with an eyeglass lens? I am wondering if the condition you have may limit your vision in that eye even after cataract surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.