Chostocondritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I’m new and desperate for answers! I’ll try and keep this brief!

I went to the doctor about 5 months ago as had a swelling around my lower left ribs since Christmas. It feels like either the bone is swollen, or the ribs are protruding due to something being swollen inside. It’s not painful, but can ache sometimes and feels a bit congested... like there’s inflammation in the area.

The doc sent me for an ultrasound of my spleen and pancreas and a chest x ray, all fine. I was also sent for an endoscopy due to heartburn which showed a hiatus hernia and then I was sent for a lower chest, abdomen and pelvis ct scan due to pain in the area (assume caused by IBS). The ct scan showed a slightly bulky uterus and a slightly fatty liver. Still nothing shown for the rib swelling

Doc then sent me for a nuclear bone scan which showed inflammation in lower left ribs - diagnosis of chostocondritis.

Has anyone had this like me? With no stabbing pain? The doctor just said if I don’t have the severe pain I’m lucky, but I’m worried my diagnosis is wrong. My ribs seem so swollen in the area, they really stick out and it feels very hard when you touch it. It’s significantly larger in the evening.

I’m worried it’s something else as I don’t have the normal symptoms. But I don’t really want to insist on more tests as I’m already convinced I’m going to get cancer from the nuclear bone scan, the ct scan and a previous ct scan I had years ago!

Thank you to anyone who has read this far! And thank you if anyone can offer any insight!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think you have to accept they have done all the relevant tests and found nothing besides inflammation to account for it. It does sound pretty exhaustive. And your tests have been over a long period - which reduces the radiation risk. What is more concerning is a lot of radiation all at once.

However - if I were you I would ask the doctor about something called Tietze syndrome which is usually accompanied by swelling.

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/costochondritis#1

Don't give them the impression you are questioning the diagnosis - but explain you are confused about no pain.

• Posted

Thank you!

I’ve even Tietze syndrome online, but again it says significant pain! Whilst mine does ache occasionally, there’s no sharp pain...

Like you say though, I think I’ve had all the tests I can have! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.