Chris

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm due to have front and back wall repaired plus hysterectomy when can you get out of bed after surgery ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Most will be asked to walk around the room the evening after the surgery. Maintaining good circulation seemed to be a priority.

it feels good to be vertical after a day in bed, go slowly, no hurry. sitting on the side of the bed first is a challenge! Good luck with the surgery and feel free to ask any more questions. I am four wks postop and i feel surprisingly well.

• Posted

i had the exact same surgery and was able to get up the next day once they took out the catheter and the packing. It was slow going but what a relief after the catheter came out. Definitely take it easy and lay down often and do not push yourself. Its been almost 8 mo and I feel great and am so thankful i did this. I am still not quite 100% but I feel pretty darn close.

• Posted

The next day hun once the catheter and packing is removed.

You will be swollen around tummy atea so.very small walks is all you need the early days after.

As weeks go.on you can increase.

Good luckx

• Posted

Hi thank you when I went for my pre op appointment the nurse said I would have cathetor in for two days to give my bladder chance to recover then I'll have a scan to make sure bladder is working properly before I go home if not happy with bladder I'll go home with catheter for a week each area must have different ideas I guess

• Posted

Are you in the US? I begged to have the catheter out. It just was more painful than anything else to me. It changed everything once it was out.

• Posted

Yes that is standard but some hospitals may leave cath in a bit longer.

For me i was one dsy with cath.no.issues at allx

• Posted

IF the foley catheter is anchored correctly with tape to your inner thigh with slack, it will not pull or cause discomfort. a good nurse should offer that assistance. it will remain in that position for one day or more, however long its needed.

only inconveniece is lugging the bag around!

• Posted

Hi rae did you manage sitting for short bursts after your op and do you live in the UK ? X

• Posted

Thats true..maybe it wasn't pain so much as the pressure. I cannot stand the pressure feeling.

• Posted

If the cath is positioned correctly inside you should not feel it.

I was never told to get out of bed and walk with it as it was removed the next day.

Usually in uk its removed next dsy unless your bladder is in spasm and needs help emptying.

The first repair i felt the cath...it was horrible but my hysterectomy i had no discomfort at all.

I put that down to the insertion definitely.

Dont worry it willbe painless.xx

• Posted

hi in the uk down in devon

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I had my op at 5pm and got up at 9am the next morning. They told me at the pre-op that this would happen and I was really worried about it. I thought it would be agony to sit on the edge of the bed but it was absolutely fine. They give you loads of painkillers so I expect thats why its not painful, I just felt a bit wobbly and light headed at first. My catheter was fine, didn't feel it at all and no pain getting it out. Only problem I had was with the packing, I bled a lot so they packed me really tight and it was so painful they had to take it out through the night but again I was full of painkillers so it wasn't painful getting it out and they take it slow.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.