Christmas

Posted , 5 users are following.

How on earth does one cope with Christmas when feeling so ill?

We go to our daughters with her Parents-in-law and brother-in-law and girl friend. Three solid days of this at least we are staying in a cottage on our own, We will still have to be with them when it is expected.. I cannot understand peoples misunderstading of this illness or from their re-action they think it is all in the mind. So must keep quiet about how I feel. I'll be glad when Christmas is over. I wish I didn't feel like this.

Alison

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison

So sorry to hear that people around do not understand CFS, that only makes our battle harder.

Try and pace yourself as much as you can, sit down to peel the sprouts and chop the veg etc. To get some downtime pretend to fall asleep in front of the TV. Go back to your cottage because you have a 'headache' or something.

Sorry that I am encouraging you to fib, but what else can you do if they won't take your very real health complaint seriously. 

Look after yourself otherwise you will only end up feeling worse.

Good luck and Christmas will soon be over.  

• Posted

TELL THEM HOW YOU ARE FEELING AND GET THE REST YOU NEED.  Don't be bullied by other people into doing things or even sitting up when you aren't up to it.  Take your daughter to the side, or speak to her beforehand and ask what is expected of you.  Then you can tell her you need to rest in between and pace yourself.  I always just say "the doctor told me to" because somehow that is acceptable to people.  I also wish I didn't feel like this and wish Christmas over - but I am not going to let anyone force me into doing something which will worsen my condition - it is my body and my health - and they can like it or lump it.
  • Posted

I wouldn't keep quiet about you feel. Why should you? It's a genuine illness and if you had a visible illness they'd make allowances. Can't you talk to your daughter about any of your worries beforehand?
  • Posted

It's so sad that we all feel this way about Christmas  if our families read these post they'd truly understand it's NOT IN OUR HEADS !!! We can't all be nuts !!! Haha !!

on a serious note it can be a very unhappy time of the year for us , I feel like I'm whatching life from the outside , others have fun & all I want is to be alone ! 

Its tough living with this illness but we shouldn't hide away we should make people understand & do how much or how little we can !!

i hope your Christmas is as happy  as possible & that we all manage to enjoy the day 

take care xx

• Posted

Maybe we should be getting them to read the posts then!  They guilt trip us into overdoing things - maybe time to turn the tables.  I do know what you mean about watching the world pass us by - I often feel that, wishing I could run up the road like someone I have seen  from my window.  Anyway, am on a rebellious streak....being selfish, well a bit selfish, today  cheesygrin

Linda

• Posted

Looks as if I am replying to myself. I just want to say thanks for all your advice and kind thoughts. Have a good Christmas one and all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.