Christmas

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi here again been a while, really struggling with the whole xmas thing as well really getting me down, apart from the food im so lonely and fed up. no friends or family around dreading it just dont want to be here anymore

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear you're feeling down bikerjools - I appreciate you being honest tho, its a struggle to get thru this time of year for me too - and for a lot of people - theres an expectation to feel joy etc but life is not so simple - people are bereaved, abused, dealing with addictions & those troubles dint take time off for the "holiday season" x sending you hugs, you're not alone in feeling that way xx M

• Posted

Hi,

Really sorry to hear that you're struggling. Eating disorders don't stop at Christmas and it can be incredibly challenging for sufferers.

There are some really helpful blogs and articles on Beat's website (UK's eating disorder charity). Their helplines are also open all over Christmas and New Year, and they are also running online support groups too, so this might be a good place to 'chat' to other people experiencing the same thing right now. I'd pop a link in, but I don't think we're allowed to include hyperlinks on here, just search for beat eating disorders and support services when you get on their website. It usually comes up first or near the top in search engines.

Thinking ahead, I know from personal experience that January is also tough with all the diet talk, so again, Beat may be a good place to talk through concerns you're experiencing then too.

Some things which have worked for me are:

• Planning meals beforehand so I know what to expect
    • Portioning my own meals out/discussing portion sizes with whoever is organising the meals
    • Avoiding a buffet style meal. For example we often have snacks like onion bajis or a cheese board. You don't have to have things like this, but if you do, it's worth portioning out rather than grazing
    • Take breaks, whether it's for a walk (thankfully my family live in a small village and the dog needs walking), or some quiet time in a different room.
    • If you are able to, set some ground rules about food and diet talk. In IP units, the words "I'm feeling fat", "I've put on so much weight" are banned at the dinner table.

Stay strong, it'll be over before you know it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.