Christmas and triggers

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I would like to wish everyone a very happy and peaceful Christmas.

I don't know if these triggers apply generally or not but mine are plain chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and of course, stress.

Most of these things go with Christmas and I'm wondering whether to have the odd glass of wine over the holidays and some Christmas chocolate. I refuse to get stressed (all my preparations are complete anyway) and I'm not bothered about coffee.

What are others planning to do, or not!

🎄🎄🎄

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gwen,

A very happy Christmas to you to, and a healthy as possible New Year.

I am going to take each day as it comes and just might be a little bit naughty with the chocolate, will definitley not be having a glass of wine as it not only triggers the AF but brings me out in Β an itchy rash.

All the best to you and may the New Year bring us all something better.

L.

• Posted

Hi Linda, oh well, two very good reasons not to drink wine!

Wishing you a very happy New year xx

• Posted

I have found drinking red wine in moderation (10 oz per night) to not be a trigger to my afib, and it's promoted by WebMD (that amount for men; somewhat less for women) and others as being good for your heart. The tiny buzz is also fairly relaxing. Does even consuming small amounts of wine affect you?

Happy days of Holi!

• Posted

Hi mikelly, to be honest, I haven't even had a tipple since my last ablation in March this year.

I'm really nervous about trying it hence my question 😨 !

Happy hols and a peaceful heart to you.

• Posted

are you on meds? I'm taking 50mg of Flecainide twice a day.

• Posted

No, I was signed off Flecainide and Bisoprolol recently. I'm still taking anticoagulant though, probably for life. I get the occasional afib, but it became more of a flutter recently up to 145 bpm. It seems to have settled down and this morning I recorded 69bpm

All good fun this isn't it? I had two new hip fitted this year as well so I am fully bionic now!

• Posted

LMFAO, bionicgwen81475!

how do you get signed off? do they wean and watch?

• Posted

Ha ha!! I had my second ablation in March and a 24 hour holter in October. My cardio said the electric charge had been repaired and that my heart was well enough to come off the meds. Although since then it has been a bit scary but I am persevering and hopefully it will come right.

I have another cardio appointment next May so we'll see in the meantime.

How are you getting on?

• Posted

I had an ablation back in April this year. My EP has told me no more than 3 standard drinks per week.

I drove interstate to a family wedding on the weekend and caught up with my siblings (who are all big drinkers!) and went beyond the suggested guidelines. (Consumed 3-5 standard drinks for three days in a row).

Although I didn't go back into AF, I noticed that my heart was not liking the extra  alcohol that I'd been consuming and was responding with an increased amount of PVCs when I checked my blood pressure (which was bit worrying!)

Am now back home and things look OK again thankfully. 

I think I've found my limit and won't push it that far again!

As always with AF, there's no 'one size fits all' approach, so I think you'll just have to 'feel your way' with potential triggers and really listen to your body.

(or completely abstain I guess-but that's too hard!)

HAVE A GREAT Christmas and good luck😀🤔

• Posted

Yes, it's easy to get carried away especially when everyone around you can be carefree, but I think for our own benefits it's not worth it. Most people are just left with a hangover for a day or two but we are left with something much worse.

I don't think I will bother with alcohol, I don't want to upset something that maybe getting better after so many awful procedures.

I wish you a very happy, peaceful Christmas too Simon.

• Posted

Hi Gwen, my name is Sandy. I started with my afib in 2008. I am 64 now. I had an ablation in 2009. I still had a few episodes of afib but never lasting mire than 3-6 hours. I have had issues with the conduction of my heart since in my 20's. Tachycardia, PAC,pvc.  Then afib. Then last year I had an episode that lasted two weeks. Started on multaq, then every couple months, episodes, lasting 4 weeks and put on amioderone, didn't work, then flecainide, had two knees replaced, here came afib, but this time free for 6 months, I just had a conversion,  back in rhythm. For how long. I'm now on 150 mg flecainide. I get so anxious and afraid when in afib. My md says it is common and nothing will happen. That's hard to beleive. I am over weight and my dr says he won't do another ablation unless I lose 50 lbs. I understand, but I had lost 100 lbs a couple of years before my first episode. I have gained almost back.  Was this your first ablation and what is your story. Helps to talk to others.  Thank you

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for relating your story. It's interesting to hear how other sufferers get to this point as I'm sure there's a common denominator in all of us.

My story is that I started with occasional palpitations lasting no more than 8hours once a year for the first 10 years. Then about 5 years ago, they became more frequent, every couple of weeks, months etc until three years ago when they became permanent.

I had to have an operation in 2013 and told the anaesthetist about these episodes because I was worried about going under anaesthetic but after having an ECG they said there was no sign of heart disturbance. Anyway things got worse after that and eventually had a cardioversion which didn't work and then my first ablation, which also didn't work.

I had my second ablation in March this year and with medication of Bisoprolol and Flecainide everything was under control and after 7 months my cardiologist gave me a 24 hour holter which gave very good results so he said to come of Bisporolol immediately and then a month later stop the Flecainide. After 9 days of stopping Flecainide my heart has gone into mainly flutter mode, and I am recording beats of around 140 pm.

If you look at my most recent posting you can see what has happened since.

I am 68 years old, have never been overweight and extremely active.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.