Christmas bonus of £10

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just found out one can be entitled to a Christmas bonus if £10 if you are on ESA or PIPS

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

That is correct the first pay day in December that you normally receive your ESA paid will be £10 more.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I just checked I get paid ESA on Tuesday, hence this December 1st will be when it is paid. smile
    • Posted

I gave just spoken to Pips who have said it will be paid the week before Xmas .Also we could get winter payment allowance for heating if temp falls below --0 for 5 consecutive days. It all helps
    • Posted

There is another discount if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, and there are other benefits that allow eligibilty, it is worth checking your Electricity Supplier if you can get it. Phone them regarding the details below.

It is called the "Warm Home Discount Scheme" which entitles people to £140 off their electric bill for 2015-2016.

It all adds up, when trying to keep warm in these cold days, well I find them cold, because of bad circulation.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

No you have to reach pension age. The last birth date to get heating aallowance if born in January 1953 you have to wait until winter 2016. 1954 birth you will have to wait until you are 65 now.

Sorry for bad news x

• Posted

To be the equivalent value today to what £10 was worth when it was first introduced, the payment should now be approx £80!!!!!
  • Posted

Many thanks  Les for bringing the WARM HOME SCHEME to our attention.I have applied today and have been told that I am eligible. This will help me and my two young sons enormously.
    • Posted

Glad it helped you! It is always down to a lack of commincation in this day and age, but at least you are entitled to it. smile

It's been available for a few years now, our current 2015-16 claim is our 3rd claim I think. It does come in handy, ours arrived in early December last year - so we didnt need to buy Electric for quite awhile.

We went to put £20 on the key, we already had £6.70 on our meter, we didn't realize the Warm Home Scheme Discount had been applied to the key. So when we put the key in it said £166.70!!!

The letter arrived a week later saying they were applying the £140 to the key, so I phone them up, they said disregard the letter it had already been done.smile

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Be aware you can only receive one £10 Christmas Bonus. So if you are on more than one benefit you will still only receive this once not from each benefit.

Hope that makes sense and does not confuse anyone.

Yes the £140 winter warm allowance is great

I receive this in electricity meter and also get £250 for gas each year.

This is on top of additional payments if the weather gets below a certain levelfor consecutive days.

• Posted

Not being cheekly but how do you manage to get £250 for gas on top of the £140 for the electricity?
    • Posted

Age related? To obtain the £250?

What age do you have to be? And where do you apply for it?

My wife is 71 and I'm not quite as old - 66. I have looked at the DWP website as well as Scottish Power's and can find no reference to the £250 for gas mentioned anywhere.

• Posted

It is on the gov uk website... cannot give the addy without this post going into moderation.
    • Posted

I know the age changes are taking place but you should receive your heating allowance at state pension age.

I myself have to wait till age 63.75 and will not be able to claim winter fuel until the winter of 2016.

People born after 6th January will have to wait longer to receive their state pens. A friend bien in 1954 will have to wait until 65//66. Yrs of age.

The working age is being changed so we have to work longer.

Can people at 70 safely drive a bus, put out a fire. So many jobs can not be dibe as quick reactions are needed. Yes they have the qualifications and many are as spritely as years below their age.

Born, school,gp to work, and have little retirement. Is this right? X

• Posted

Completely different benefits. £140 is Winter Warmer. I receive this as a credit to my electric meter.

£250 for heating allowance is simply paid into my account.

Whether (weather!) I choose to you this for Gas Central Heating is up to me.

Maybe I get both because I am on guaranteed pension credit

After all it is only once a year.

Sarah

• Posted

Pension Credit = automatic entitlement to the Heating Allowance, as far as I am aware.

So, many people miss out on payments because they DO NOT KNOW they are entitled to them. The Gov't just keeps the money if not claimed. There is so many people that are unaware of their to entitlement to numerous payments.

It is was is known as the 'domino' effect, one entitlement = access to others - the problem lies between communication breakdown.

I only know about numerous entitlements because our premises is noted on many systems as having a disabled person living in the property and my sister-in-law is a CAB manager, otherwise I would be just like everyone else, either know nothing or know a few.

But I am willing to share what I know with people on here.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Ah I see! It isn't £250, but £200. 

We get it as well and spend it on whatever we wish. Fortunately we pay for our gas & electric together in a monthly equal amount - currently £125 per month. This covers the whole year costs. The £200 as well as the £140 (that we get also) are extras and not needed. Every year end we are always in credit because of the £140 credit. 

• Posted

Folk please take into consideration thee changes.

I am not allowed to receive heating allowance, ie £200 untill. Winter 2016. I am nearly 63.

Is this right? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.