Christmas Tipple - Yes or No??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a while as everything has been bumping along nicely.

Tomorrow I will be 17 months sober and whilst I am so so happy about this I really want to have a drink on Christmas Day. It will just be the two of us this year and I would love to have a glass of Prosecco or something with my Xmas lunch.

I think I know the answer already - 'No - don't do it' and deep down I know that I shouldn't even be thinking about it.

But my question is has anyone (after drinking very heavily for years) managed to start drinking again sensibly and be able to reach the point of knowing that one or two is enough and so stop? Has anyone (I know we are all different) reached a 'balance' where they have found that they can cope with the odd drink and that it hasn't set them back to square one. I am worried about testing myself as I'm not sure whether it's possible to do this and that my head will say 'Oh go on - another one won't hurt' and then disaster will happen. It might also make me physically sick and maybe (hopefully) I'd actually hate the taste after so many months of no alcohol??

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and Happy Christmas to everyone and their families!!

All the best.

Claire xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Claire,

Congratulations on being 17 months sober, that is a big accomplishment! (id be thrilled if i made it past 3 months).

Honestly i cant advice you on what to do, as i dont know how your previews drinking pattern was like. id say if you can avoid it, then please do.

Just ask yourself honestly if that one glass is really worth it? will it make you that much happier? what will you get from it? then put your answers on a scale of worth it or not worth it.

For me 1 glass was never enough, I drank for the buzz and the "high" of it. So therefor 1 drink does nothing for me. In my case there is no "in between" so ask yourself if you are like this as well, and if the answer is yes, then please avoid it all together.

hope this helps. Big hug!

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Yes, as I thought, the general consensus of opinion is not to.

I totally agree as I got through last Christmas without one so I will do so again this year.

There is always that 'I'll only have one to see if I can handle it' but what if I can't and then not stop? It's not worth the risk and I will be so cross and disappointed with myself the next day.

Fingers crossed then!!

Happy Christmas to you all!!

All the best

Claire xx

• Posted

Hi and congratulations. ๐Ÿ’—

I will have to say no and that is speaking from my own experience. I stopped drinking almost 2L bottles of 14% red wine the 26th of March 2017 and hadn't had a drink until my Ex-husbands funeral. I had become liquidator of his estate in the name of our children and was in charge of managing everything down to his funeral. Him being from Belgium and with his family there that's where he wanted to be buried so the children and I brought him back from Canada to Belgium so he could be buried beside his father.

I decided that after 19 months sober I could have one drink just to toast him that day but as soon as smelled that glass of wine I was trying to figure out where to get a bottle to bring back home with me and luckily the stores were all closed too. It was a constant battle and I knew that I would never be able to drink again. Now I am 2 years and 9 months but that could have been ruined because it could have killed me like my Ex-husband. He was severely alcoholic and surprisingly stopped for 1 full year but one day he decided to drink and it killed him. He commited suicide a few months later. Hung himself from a tree. Drunk. So drunk with a seat full of empty beer cans beside him and a bag of full ones ready to drink...

Don't do it. It's not worth playing Russian roulette with your life.

Sorry for the long post but that's my opinion

• Posted

Great to hear from you again. 17 months is a massive accomplishment๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜„. I am sober 7 years soon and had champagne 4 years ago at work. Special celebration and a small glass did not taste that nice. Not used to the taste after three years sober. It did not trigger anything and i did not need or want a 2nd one. Slippery slope downhill! I had too much to loose. Should you? Not certain at all and you know your body and mind better than anybody else. If in doubt, then do not drink...

• Posted

hi, i did this for months after 2 years off. just drank a few cans at the weekend.

had no problems but 6 months down the road i get 18 weeks jail suspended. you can probably see what my answer will be ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

Exactly the same for me! Two months off 13 years sober, so surely I can have a drink now? I even dreamed that I was having a glass of wine last night and was quite pleased when I woke up and it was 'only a dream.' I don't think I will though, but the temptation is always there. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

you are so brave I envy you congratulations I wish I could at least slow down or stop the booze i'm drinking I know I am not doing myself any good. the last 2yrs have been difficult and I find myself drinking every day my father passed 6mths ago my drinking has got worse this morning I feel dreafull and sad with myself

• Posted

Hi Janipan,

I know how you feel. I've got to go out now but will try and send you a longer reply later. Keep posting on this site, even start your own post, as the support I've had on here has been invaluable. I am so sorry about your Dad, but remember that alcohol is a depressant so will make you feel even worse.

Catch you later!!

Claire xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.