chronic abdomen pain- 6 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im brand new to this

so... it started about 6 months ago ive been getting sharp pains down both sides of my tummy, ive also been getting motion sicknes (which i never had before)

i can also be sitting on the sofa in a well lit room (like now ion my laptop) and all i want to do is be sick. 

ive been to my GP. she gave me Omeprazole 20mg. which i took for 3 months now im on Metronidazole 400mg (for possible gastroenteritus) 

but... this is day 4 of me taking the antibiotics and ive feeling worse pain than i did before. 

i like to think i have a high pain threshold. these past 3 days the pain has got so bad it is now effecting my job. and im worried it could be something more serious and the GP is puting it down to me being a female and having "cramps"... my cramps have never been this bad. 

a little about me;female, 25, never had this pain before it started 6 months ago. ive changed my diet; cutting things out to see if it helps (take aways, alcohol, dairy, weat) ive put on alot of weight. and this isnt a gradual thing. its been very rapid.  the past 3 weeks ive been having 70/80% watery stools, it has stopped on tuesday (the only good thing about the antibiotics)

please help? im worried out of my mind and it seems to be getting worse. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You maybe having a reaction to the antibiotics.  Go back to your doctor and tell him your worsening symptoms.  Ask for a different antibiotic.  But don't worry!

• Posted

i wish it was that easy... i want to go to the hospital but everytime i move its just excrushating pain, and feeling like i want to be sick. i dread going on public transport for fear of actully being sick. 
    • Posted

Perhaps phone your surgery and ask for a phone consultation with your doctor instead if public transport is going to be a problem.
    • Posted

i managed to get to the doctors. had to send off a stool sampe and a blood test and since its been going on for over 6 months im going for an ultrasound too. 

i also found out chrones runs in my family... so its just getting things sorted now. 

thanks for your reply.

take care 

• Posted

You could check to see that the stool sample is being tested for fecal calprotectin.  If your levels are high, it could indicate IBD (Crohns or ulcerative colitis).
  • Posted

I am puzzled

why your watery stool was not send to lab for testing after 3 weeks duration

(of course watery stools for 1-3 days no one is concerned, but if it goes on longer, watery stool needs to be checked)

My watery stool (after 5 days not checked btw since fever was missing, but got so sick and dehydrated, that finally was sent off) was actually due to gardiasis and metronidazole my salvation, even nausea got worse as a side effect of med.

What I don't get, the side effect of antibiotics on guts is usually diarrhea ... you said, your watery stool was actually getting better??? So is it working?

This stool needs to be tested for pathogens I think.

If bacterial pathogens or parasites...

Metronidazole has many side effects, but as said, sometimes the side effects are absolutely worth it, sometimes not, it needs a good profound indication though to be prescribed.

You got Metronidazole WITHOUT any stool lab testing? On some unknown gastroenteritis suspicion? I find this really odd.

Keep up the fluids please, probiotics are always a must during antibiotic treatment and after since they kill the good buddies too. (If you can keep anything down, I couldn't)

Metronidazole works mainly for anaerobic gram-negative bacteria,

for gram positive Clostridium and protozoa llike giardia.

But not against everything.

One needs to know which infection in order to throw in Metronidazole for helping. For me it was a blessing and more nausea outweighing the benefit of getting the watery stools and belly cramps under control (and eventually rid of), BUT I knew I had a severe case of giardiasis.

So it could also be taken with side effects for no good?

Please ask for a stool testing!

Please ring ordination to get you onto GP and ask for stool testing (if not done), covering bacteria pathogens (culture, PCR) and parasites,

then ask a friend to pick up the sample tin and order form, once completed -sample produced- even a friend could bring it to sample collection center.

So  you would not need to leave your home/toilet.

Please. I hope you find out soon what it is or get better anyway!

All the best!

• Posted

hey, sorry for the late reply. ive done the stool test and ive just had a blood test too. 

i also found out Chrones runs in my family so that could be one step clocer to figuring out what that is. 

the antibiotics worked for the watery stools just not the nausia. 

i hope your feeling better too 

• Posted

Thumbs up if you had stool testing anyway!

Maybe Calprotectin (in stool) can be tested?

(my thingy with giardiasis is 10 years ago and flared up over 2 years, now gone, stool pcr even negative. all good)

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.