Chronic abdominal pain and diarrhoea, Drs don’t know..

Posted , 4 users are following.

im in despair over what to do about this! ive had upper abdominal pain for months, every day in the evening and through the night. Sometimes it starts early evening so i cant have dinner, it keeps me awake and no position change helps. every so often the pain will be severe and ill have terrible diarrhoea upon getting up in the morning, the pain and diarrhoea will continue for about 5 hours then gradually subsides. i dont have gas or bloating, plus the pain is high up around my centre and going to the loo doesnt make me feel better so i doubt its IBS, ive been to the dr 5 times, been given omeprozole, buscopan, blood tests and an ultrasound scan. All came back clear and the medicine did nothing. Sometimes the discomfort is mild so when i get up in the morning it goes away. This morning its severe with diarrhoea again so my husband is angry with me because we have 2 small children. Any ideas what should do next? The dr said he didnt know as the pain doesnt happen in the day and im not tender upon examination..!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte12

If your complaint is not occurring during the day what are you eating in the evening or drinking in the evening? It may be something that is not agreeing with your digestive system. Try keeping a food diary and see if your symptoms correlate with certain foods. It cannot be an infection or food poisoning otherwise it would be a 24 hour thing. There is no reason why your husband should be angry with you, he should be more sympathetic and help you especially if you have young children to care for.....

• Posted

Charlotte12..

Also, if you can't have dinner what are you consuming during the day?

• Posted

Hi Charlotte12...

You also may be suffering from extreme anxiety and stress which also can cause your symptoms...do you only see your husband in the evening...is he at work during the day?...

• Posted

Ask for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Have you had stool tests for h pylori and a celiac test? Your symptoms do sound like IBS, but usually you would get temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement. However, everyone is different. Have you tried a food diary to see if food could be causing it?Have you noticed if stress brings on symptoms. My brother had IBS but he was never tender on examination either.

• Posted

Oh my goodness Charlotte, you poor thing, you are going through so much hun. And and i have and am still there except now theyve finally found what was wrong with me. It took a year and a half. I do think you should have an endoscopy AND a colonoscopy. It could all be coming from the same issue, or two different things at once. I wish i could go into my entire story with you on here so that you could understand why i say these things, but its just too long. Youre welcome to send me a message anytime and i would be happy to tell you about everything i went through and give you more recommendations. Im only 33 years old and have had 5 abdominal surgeries. i am by NO means saying thats going to happen to you. But i do think you need to get some proper testing. Have you seen a GI? My initial problem was I saw a GI but he was horrible. Unfortunately sometimes it takes some extra time of searching for the right doctor thats going to go the extra mile to find out what is wrong. I also have small children, 8yr old son, 2yr old daughter, 1yr old daughter. And shortly after my youngest daughter was born i had to have a hysterectomy, and then my illness began following that. My husband got pretty frustrated because i was just always sick with what seemed to be some invisible illness. And its hard as a mama because we just want to be there for our babies and struggle to be. Please private message me so i can explain more to you. If you choose not to, thats completely fine, but please see a GI. And if you dont like that particular one, see another. Keep going until you find the right one that makes you feel like theyre truly working to find the answers! You, your husband, and your kiddos deserve that! Mostly you! Keep us posted doll! I will pray for you ❤

PS: someone mentioned that stress can do this to your abdomen. And thats very true. But ive also learned through my situation, that stress may do this, but causes some disorders along with it. Also- have you by chance had a hysterectomy?

• Posted

hi, i did start with a food diary but nothing really correlated. i was tested for cealiac but that was negative, i always get the pain either on the drive home or when i get home, then i just feel uncomfortable so dont want dinner. i have a big breakfast and lunch at work but never have any problems. i see my husband in the evenings, he is never that nice to me when i feel unwell now that we have children. the diarrhoea from today stopped around 11am as usual, tummy is a bit sore but i can walk around now so feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.