Chronic Abdominal Swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I’ve been having some issues for a few years now and I’m hoping this can get them cleared up. My lower abdomen (the section just underneath my belly button) has been swollen for about four years now and I’d like to figure out why. It’s not constipation because it is always present, whether my bowels are doing well or not. It doesn’t seem to be bloating either. The only major observation I’ve made is that my abdomen will consistently be swollen for months, then will one day randomly go down, and be back to swollen the next day. I look pregnant. Does anyone have any clue what it could be?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi g

Have you had this checked by your doctor?

Did this swelling develop gradually, or just "pop out" one day?

The first thing that occurs to me is a hernia.

You must get this checked out!

• Posted

The only issue I have with my GI tract is acid reflux. I’ve been checked for other issues. The only problem they found was a small bit of inflammatory tissue outside of my stomach. They suspected celiac disease, but quickly proved that wasn’t the case. 
  • Posted

Maybe it’s somwthing you have been eating. Try a food diary. The other possibity is an ovarian cyst especially if you are having any abdominal pain or bleeding.
    • Posted

I’ve had numerous X-rays on my abdomen, an MRI, and laparoscopy. I’ve had several cysts burst in the last few years, so I got some ultrasounds done. I was all clear by the time I got an appointment. As for food, I’m allergic to quite a few foods, but avoiding them does absolutely nothing for the swelling. I’ve tried avoiding grains, but that does nothing. Maybe I’ll have to get a colonoscopy done just to make sure nothing is going on in my intestines. 
    • Posted

Maybe you need another pelvic ultrasound? Maybe the problem is gnae related?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.