Chronic aching/weakness down whole left side of body after neck hyperextension

Posted , 4 users are following.

In October 2014 I sprained/injured my neck after hyperextending it from jumping backwards onto my bed.

I had an immediate rush of pins and needles from the left side of my neck, all down my left arm and leg.

My left side felt noticeably 'weaker' and 'unsteady' after this happened and these symptoms lasted for a month before clearing up and I felt normal again.

Fast forward to May 2015; I had just replaced one of my bed pillows and the next morning after sleeping with this pillow for the first time, the whole of my left side was suddenly back to the weak and aching sensation I'd had 7 months previously.

I went to my doctor. He carried out a neurological physical examination of all my reflexes etc and this was fine. He suggested just to take it easy and see if it resolved itself.

So I followed his advice and after a month it went away.

Although what I found different now, was that any kind of strenuous excersise I did like running, I would have to stop after only a couple of minutes as my left leg would become so tight and painful I couldn't carry on (almost like cramp). This is still the case to this day.

September 2015 it all returned yet again; I was just sat down normally and suddenly became aware of this intense shooting pain in the bottom of my left foot. Now even simple things such as walking are now accompanied with mild discomfort.

I went back to my doctor who was slightly puzzled what would be causing my symptoms, so he reffered me to a neurologist who then sent me for an MRI scan of spine, neck and brain which came back normal.

10 months down the line I still have the aching/weak/heavy feeling through my left side. The discomfort can get bad to the point, that I just want to lie down all the time as I feel like my neck almost can't support my head.

Most exercise is difficult and any intricate work like using screwdrivers etc causes my left wrist to ache to the point where my left hand basically seizes up/becomes temporaily paralyzed and I have to 'wake' my hand up.

I'm due to see a physio for the first time soon but am not very optimistic this will lead to much improvement of my symptoms.

Does anyone have any advice for what might be the cause or has suffered with similar symptoms?

Thanks,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes it sounds like tendonitis. If u pm me then I can send you a  link to further info.

• Posted

Jason, I have similar issues and have been at this for years. I have nerve damage from herniated discs lower back and fusion surgery. This causes weakness on affected side the nerves and muscles are not talking together very well!  Sometimes I just plan fall from weight put on affected side.  Numbness, burning pain, needles and pins, loss of balance etc, etc.  mine is due to nerve damage and it is not going away. Be careful not to cause more trauma to your body because it can get much worse. I doctored w neorolgist who did nerve testing and pain management who know a lot about these kind of issues.  Do not put off getting help you need to know what is going on. Best of luck.
    • Posted

How did you find out? Should I say how did your drs find out?
    • Posted

I am not sure what you are asking because I am new to this site and I have lost the sequence.  So I hope you want to know how I was diagoised. MRI  over the years and nerve conduction test further along etc. that is when we all became aware of nerve damage.  Further deterioration when discs lost all lubrication and then we were bone on bone.  That was the end I could not function without surgery etc. Then time and other complications added to overall more problems mostly pain.  Then pain management every option available the goal to not have to be dependent on drugs for help to deal w e everyday life.  None of the shots, phys. Therapy worked for me. So a lot of time w all of that years really to where I am today. Implant and pain Meds. Feel very lucky to have access to all of these medical options. So I hope this helps you.  Remember This covers years of trying to deal w all of this. I was able to golf swim work shop all in one day until the final deterioration set I .   It is a process and it requires due delligence to not further harm yourself.  Best of luck and remember - you are an everyday warrior and that not everyone will get that. You will!  You are not a whimp you are dealing w an invisible health issue. Try not to feel guilty it is not your fault that this has happened to you.  Warriors work hard we have to!!  Hope this is helpful to you.  This verbage helped me to understand what it is we face.  There are sites where others w chronic pain have written thoughts and stated what their issues have been w dealing w family etc.  helped me a lot not to see myself  not  as  a whimp, thinking if I could just get it together better I could haveback and on and on and on.  Now I try to face these issues w acceptance and try to handle myself w as much pride as I can.  

• Posted

Did you ever get any answers as to what is going on?

I'm going thru the exact same thing with 0 help from Drs!

I actually know I have neck issues but they won't corrialate this to all my symptoms!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.