Chronic anal fissure

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I've been dealing, more like suffering, through a fissure for three months. I've been to my doctor, GI, and general surgeon. I've religiously done the stool softeners, Metamucil, Nitroglycerin, and sits baths. Please, if you have any advice or been through this, can you provide your story? I'm just at my wits end.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you Angel, it was many months of continuous pain, I got very depressed and hopeless. I drank the water, ate the vegetables and fruit, food became more like medicine . Saw about 4 different doctors and it was the same counsel as I read here, diet , water, exercise, coconut oil , tucks , ibrufen and I added red wine after work. After over three months of pain I'm healed. But my life was ruled by that fissure.

• Posted

So glad to hear you have healed. Can you tell me what it was that finally worked for you?
    • Posted

Angel, to be perfectly honest with you it was hell but I made it through a very long painful ordeal. This is how I would start my day , coffee and prayer that I could get through the day ! I would start the day with three Motrin and try to eat something so it wasn't on a empty stomach. Then I would put organic coconut oil around the entrance of rectum because after my morning potty ordeal I would end of in agony for the rest of the day, I would prepare a hot bath after morning poop so I could get right in after . I would soak for 20 minutes get out dry area with blowdyer to make sure I was dry. With a q-tip I would apply the nitro ointment, careful to follow dosage as this stuff can give you a wallop of a headach. Then get ready for work. I would call in a all fruit and veggie smoothie and pick it up on my way to work. Three or four hours later pop more Motrin . Drink as much water as I could . Lunch more fiber (salad) another application of nitro . After work I tried ice pack but that was useless , so back to the bath tub for a soak . I probably took 3 baths a day but after work I brought wine 🍷 to the bath tub with me. My mind was always focused on the pain except at work because I have so many people to care for and I could not focus on myself... it was hell. I never took stool softeners but maybe I should have idk. Water, fiber diet, Motrin , nitro, coconut oil, baths and red wine !!! That was my life for months and a lot of crying alone . Hang in there it is very isolating because who wants to talk about having a tear up theirs poop Shute ! I live in fear of it happening again. Going to check out stool softness and still be careful about my diet

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing this info. Can i use the coconut oil with the nitro?

You're right, this is absolutely an isolating issue to deal with. How long did it take for you to heal??

• Posted

First you need a prescription for the nitroglycerin ointment, and yes organic coconut oil is find to combine. Just keeping it lubed for bowel evacuation was my objective. As for length of time hard to say , I mean the last 2 months I was chasing doctors for help, my regular doctor was lame, er doctor gave me the nitro, saw a gastro who sent me to a surgeon , surgeon sent me back to gastro for a colonoscopy. But I think it was about 3 or 4 months. But like I said the last two months I was very deligent with that treatment I mentioned.
    • Posted

I've been taking the Nitro and stool softeners for around 2 months. Started Miralax today. But will try the coconut oil. Thanks!!

• Posted

Hey! I can completely sympathise with you, I'm 28 months in with suffering from one, just had my 5th surgery, and since then received stool results which show I may how inflammatory bowel disease!

All I can say is keep on top of regular painkillers and take it easy! I know how hard it is but I always feel so well and then end up spendings days in bed! I've been prescribed oramorph after surgeries Xx

• Posted

Thanks for sharing and I am so sorry to hear that you have had to suffer so long. I wish there was more information on this. I see commercials for fibromyalgia, depression, and other health conditions, but never see or hear anything about this.
  • Posted

Hi Angel,

​I do so feel for you having this awful pain, have you reade my feed back on here which i have sent to other people.

Please let me know.

​Thanks Clive ( bIRMINGHAM ) uk.

• Posted

Hi Clive,

No I have not seen the info. I'm knew on here. Came across this site in search of relief. Can you provide me with any info???

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Thanks Myles! How was your surgery? Have you healed? What are your thoughts on it? I take the Metamucil, stool softeners, sitz baths, Nitro, etc.
    • Posted

So I had my fissure around 4 weeks before I decided to go for the surgery. The doctor gave me diltazem ointment to put on which basically was supposed to stop the spasming of the sphincter muscle. I didn't notice any difference in my case and when the doctor looked at it again,  he realized I had a chronic fissure and needed surgery. The recovery from the LIS surgery was not so bad considering the pain that the fissure caused me. After the surgery, I was in immmense pain, once the drugs wore off, and then felt a bit better. Going to the bathroom for the first time post surgery was the worst. It really hurt pooping, but afterwards the pain was nothing compared to that of the fissure. After that, I healed in around 2 weeks. Past the 2 weeks post surgery, the only recovery I had left was the mental recovery of learning to live without the fissure taking over my  life. It has been at least 3 years since my fissure. I have never had another one and the only  things I deal with occasionally are hemmroids which I manage. If you decide for the surgery, make sure to get a reputable doctor who has performed it multiple times. If you find a reputable doctor who has performed the surgery many times before, I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

This makes me feel so much better. Thanks for the info. This is why I'm switching and making an appt with another surgeon. Fingers crossed!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.