Chronic Anal fissure (early 20s)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I’ve been reading these boards since 2014 and never posted. Thank you for all th advice!. When my fissure started at 21 years old. I am now 24, two Botox surgeries later countless creams . I am still in the same horrific pain daily. I was hoping for some advice mainly from anyone, but ladies that have had the LIS surgery and gone on to have children?. I have spoken to a few surgeons and they won’t allow me to have the LIS has I haven’t had children yet. It can cause problems in childbirth. Honestly it’s gotten to the point where I would have the surgery and have a c section if I had children. I very much doubt my fissure will heal on its own. I’ve tired literally everything in my power for 4 years. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share it!.  Thank you 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hey rebecca,I got the lis procedure early last year and it,was the best decision of my life.The colorectal surgeon was confident and recommended it immediately.He said I was young and my body will heal well and never mentioned any threat during childbirth.It involves loosening a bit of the tension the sphincter muscle is under inorder to heal the fissure.Ive realised from this posts that you have to find a good colorectal surgeon.
    • Posted

My whole family are against the idea, mainly because the surgeons have completely ruled LIS out. They believe I will prolapse. Or I will re tear in childbirth. So all I’m hearing is don’t do it, but honestly right now I can’t even go to work this week. It’s the only option. Is prolapse something you have delt with after surgery?. Thank you for replying I really appreciate it. 
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Just want to say I totally know what you are going through! I’ve been dealing with anal fissures since I was 17, I’m 24 now. I too have had two failed Botox attempts and tried everything else. I had a baby in 2016 and opted to have an elective c section due to fissures, I didn’t want a natural childbirth to make them worse. The c section was fine and although my ob consultant tried to persuade me otherwise (what did he know about my fissure hell!),  the law changed a few years back which means you can have a c section for any reason you want. Im planning on having LIS surgery and I will be having any future children by c section as I have read that a natural childbirth after LIS greatly increases the chance of incontinence. Long story short, I’d go for the LIS and don’t worry about going for a c section when you come to have children. I honestly don’t know why some colorectal surgeons are so against doing LIS in women of childbearing age, it’s not like a natural childbirth is the only option, yes having repeated c sections limits the number of children you can have, but it’s really not the end of the world when your dealing with the torment that is fissures for years! Hope this helps smile x

• Posted

Hi! bloody hell 17 that’s awful I thought I was young at 20!. I completely feel for you. Do you feel you made the right decision having the C section?. My mum thinks I am mad having the surgery, then having a csection if I have children. I don’t think people realise the level of pain a fissure is, sometimes I feel like I’ve just had an poxy operation! Lol. I think they are so against it because cutting into our muscule so young it won’t be great for when we are older. Or we may retear but this fissure will not heal on its own. You have one option and sadly I think lis is mine now. Thank you for replying I really appreciate it 
    • Posted

Yeah it’s been a pretty rough few years! I like you have seen a few surgeons who’ve refused the LIS for the same reasons but finally found one who hasn’t raised these concerns (although the same can’t be said for one of his colleagues who told me I’d DEFINITELY be incontinet at age 50-60). Yeah I feel that the c section was the right decision at the time cos I couldn’t face the fissure getting worse, especially when thinking about having to deal with a newborn baby. In the grand scheme of things though even if I had a natural birth and it did get worse then I’d still be in the same situation I’m in now... needing LIS. For any future children I’ll definitely be having another c section, even if I miraculously healed tomorrow without the surgery, I couldn’t bare to risk any more damage to the area that could be avoided. It’s your body, you know what the pain is like despite what your family are telling you, and whilst I’m sure you value their thoughts, at the end of the day the decision is down to you and I’m sure they wouldn’t be as against it if they could experience the pain you are x
    • Posted

They do have a test which you can have on the nhs that tests you’re muscles, before you have surgery to see how tight things are. Yeah I think it’s the right decision, even though the trauma from a csection can be awful. At least you know you will heal in time. I agree with what you said if you miraculously healed you would still have the surgery that’s what worries me. Healing having children and I’m back to square one. So csection it is lol. Thank you for writing back, it’s such a touchy subject something you’re friends wouldn’t really understand. Not many women at our ages have to deal with this. I’m being referred back tomorrow. So this could be all over by the end of summer. I suppose we have to think about our quality of life right now. We shouldn’t have to live in pain. 
    • Posted

Oh do they I’d never heard of that. I know, I’d never talk to my friends about it either! It’s comforting in a way to know there are others going through the same thing, especially people the same age, even though you’d never want anyone to be suffering! When I was in hospital getting my Botox there was another girl who was 25, getting the same thing done. We got chatting and she said she’d had problems for 5 years. By chance she was in the bed opposite me both times I had the botox! So it must go on amongst people as young, you just don’t hear about it often rolleyes yeah you’re right about having to think about quality of life now, if I have to wear a nappy when I’m 60 for the rest of my life it will be worth it if it means I’ll never have this pain again haha!
    • Posted

Yeah he offered me it last time to check my muscles, but wouldn’t give me the op 🙄. I would look into it when you go general surgery before having lis. Have you ever tried ice packing the area?. I did today and honestly it really helps!. More than heat. Oh god I hope she isn’t there when you go back for surgery again! Lol. I think Botox is a waste of time, it has the same success rate as the creams. It’s sad because when I go doctors I get the same speech you are way to young to have this. I’ve never commented on something like this. I was just at my wits end it’s been really helpful makes you feel less alone. Hopefully this year will be our last year of pain! 🤞🏻 

• Posted

Yeah I agree with you about the Botox, I felt slightly better after a few weeks but only for a few days then just back to the usual. I know I hate the you’re too young for this speech, it’s like right so what’s the other alternative? Be in pain until you’ve lived your life enough so can afford to be incontinent? Makes no sense haha. Yes hopefully! 🤞🏻 I hope you get sorted soon with your new referral, keep me updated smile 

• Posted

I’ll keep you updated!. Let me know how you’re surgery goes. Good luck! X
  • Posted

26 year old female, no kids. Ive had a fissure for about two years. God awful pain. I'm in the process of healing all by myself. What are you doing, what have you done to treat the fissure?

• Posted

I’ve done literally everything. I think I’ll be one of the cases that will need lis surgery as I’ve had it 4 years now, and I can’t heal on my own. Keep you’re water intake up. Hot baths, ice packs also help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.